Am I on the right track?

tcogs

Jun 24, 2009
I found this web site and have enjoyed converting to the BBB method. Here are my readings:

Yesterday:
FC - 2
TC - 1
pH - 7.5
T/A - 150
CYA - > 20

I added 32oz of HTH stabilizer and conditioner in a sock in the skimmer basket to raise the CYA.

This morning:
TC - .5
pH - 7.2

I also added approx 274oz of 6% liquid bleach this morning. I know to wait 1 week to retest the CYA levels and not to backwash until then as well. However, can I still brush the pool? Also, I should keep adding bleach to raise the TC regardless of the conditioner in the skimmer, correct?

Tim

tcogs said:
I found this web site and have enjoyed converting to the BBB method. Here are my readings:

Yesterday:
FC - 2
TC - 1
pH - 7.5
T/A - 150
CYA - > 20

I added 32oz of HTH stabilizer and conditioner in a sock in the skimmer basket to raise the CYA.

This morning:
TC - .5
pH - 7.2

I also added approx 274oz of 6% liquid bleach this morning. I know to wait 1 week to retest the CYA levels and not to backwash until then as well. However, can I still brush the pool? Also, I should keep adding bleach to raise the TC regardless of the conditioner in the skimmer, correct?

Tim

Hi, Tim, welcome to the forum.

You are on the right track but you need a push to get you going :lol:

1. Keep your FC around 2-4ppm regardless of the conditioner. It's not clear from your post that you understand the bleach will beconstantly going down in your pool. It is a consumable item......your other parameters are not. Check your FC daily (you can do it quickly with the chlorine test in the blue plastic box) and never let it get below 2ppm. (You probably need some now)

2. You have not added enough conditioner to get to 40ppm (a good starting point). It usually comes in 4 lb containers and you'll need at least that. Jason's pool calculator will tell you exactly how much you need.

3. Your pH and TA are fine for now.

4. You have either a small text error or a testing error.......TC (total chlorine) is the total of your FC and CC. So, for example if you have 3FC and .5CC, your TC = 3.5ppm Post back that corrected info in your next reply.

5. You can brush your pool anytime as often as you like. It's always helpful.

6. How does your water look?

duraleigh said:
tcogs said:

Yesterday:
FC - 2
TC - 1
pH - 7.5
T/A - 150
CYA - > 20

This morning:
TC - .5
pH - 7.2

Tim

Hi, Tim, welcome to the forum.

You are on the right track but you need a push to get you going :lol:

1. Keep your FC around 2-4ppm regardless of the conditioner. It's not clear from your post that you understand the bleach will beconstantly going down in your pool. It is a consumable item......your other parameters are not. Check your FC daily (you can do it quickly with the chlorine test in the blue plastic box) and never let it get below 2ppm. (You probably need some now)

2. You have not added enough conditioner to get to 40ppm (a good starting point). It usually comes in 4 lb containers and you'll need at least that. Jason's pool calculator will tell you exactly how much you need.

3. Your pH and TA are fine for now.

4. You have either a small text error or a testing error.......TC (total chlorine) is the total of your FC and CC. So, for example if you have 3FC and .5CC, your TC = 3.5ppm Post back that corrected info in your next reply.

5. You can brush your pool anytime as often as you like. It's always helpful.

6. How does your water look?

Thanks for the reply Dave,

1. I checked my FC and it is 8. I just added some this morning.

2. I have added the remaining amount from the 4lbs I purchased. According to the calculator, I should be close to 40ppm with that amount. I didn't want to add too much the first time because I have read the results of having to much CYA and I don't want to drain my water level! =)

3. NA

4. CC - 1, TC - 9

5. Thank you.

6. Water looks okay, not sparkling, but not really cloudy. It's raining in Iowa and cloudy. =)

6. Water looks okay, not sparkling, but not really cloudy. It's raining in Iowa and cloudy. =)
Since you will soon have adequate CYA, I would suggest keeping your FC up around that 9-10ppm. I think that'll get your CC test down to .5 or less and will put the sparkle in your water. It may take another day or so. Keep your pump running 24/7 during that time to help get the sparkle, too.

Nice work!

Hi and Welcome.

To touch on what Dave said.... make sure you leave the pool uncovered so the sun (when it returns) can destroy the CCs. If they aren't gone in a few days, you will need to shock the pool if the CC is still 1.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
for clarity, now that my week of waiting is almost up I wanted to make sure that I should retest the CYA level before I backwash, correct?
Well, yes and no. Certainly, you should backwash if your filter psi has risen significantly.

So, given that need, whether or not the CYA tests at the targeted level almost doesn't matter. What you put in (CYA) has dissolved and, essentially, is as good as it's gonna' get. That would indicate no need to test because it is what it is.

That said, I would go ahead and test it pretty soon to verify you came close to your target. My curiosity couldn't stand it! :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.