Kevin from X-Pert Pool Service North East PA

X-PertPool

TFP Expert
In The Industry
Jun 12, 2009
Exeter, PA
Waste told me to post in here.

I've been doing pools full time since 2001, my brother and I own X-Pert Pool Service and he has been full time since 1994. Our father recently passed away in June of 2008 so we are the owners now.

We don't install pools just fix and service them. Our largest areas of interest are openings, closings, pumps, filters, leak detection, troubleshooting, heater repair etc. We don't pour concrete, paint pools or replace tile, but mostly everything else we do or at least recommend the customer where to go if we don't.

We've always been a family owned business and like to make the customer happy the best we can. We don't have a store front which has it's benefit when a customer has chemical questions after being sold everything that was on the shelf at the local pool store.

I like your guys BBB idea, but for the customers I take care of on a weekly basis that I provide chemicals too there just isn't enough room for that much bleach in the truck :) Right now we primarily use cal-hypo as the main sanitizer and tri-chlor for its slow dissolving properties. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Kevin,

I like your guys BBB idea, but for the customers I take care of on a weekly basis that I provide chemicals too there just isn't enough room for that much bleach in the truck Right now we primarily use cal-hypo as the main sanitizer and tri-chlor for its slow dissolving properties.
Hey, Kevin,

Welcome. Tri-chlor and Cal-hypo are not bad....mismanagement of them is where folks get into trouble. Do ya'll test for your customers to make sure CYA and/or Calcium doesn't get excessive?

the CYA doesn't seem to be a problem all of the filters are either sand or earth so the cya actually tends to slowly go down. Most of the pools are vinyl lined as well so calcium hardness isn't a huge issue regardless most of the pools are testing ideal for hardness right now.

Like you, I wouldn't carry around jugs of bleach, either.

That said, I would test periodically for Calcium and CYA buildup. Neither goes down in a pool unless there's extraordinary splashout.....they only go up. Test strips are frequently worthless for testing those two items.

As you are probably noticing, the single biggest issue presented on this forum is pools with too much CYA thru the use of pucks.

X-PertPool said:
the CYA doesn't seem to be a problem all of the filters are either sand or earth so the cya actually tends to slowly go down. Most of the pools are vinyl lined as well so calcium hardness isn't a huge issue regardless most of the pools are testing ideal for hardness right now.
They must also be smaller pools because it doesn't take much for CYA to buildup. If using Trichlor, for every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm. Even with a low 1 ppm FC per day chlorine usage, that's an increase in CYA of 100 ppm in 6 months if there were no water dilution. Even if the CYA were at 100 ppm, it would take a 4.2% water replacement every week to not have the CYA level rise over time. It sounds like the use of Cal-Hypo helps minimize the amount of actual Trichlor usage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
you basically got it right with that last line, the pools are shocked with the cal-hypo I only use 1-3 tabs per week in the skimmer if there is no chlorinator and if there is a chlorinator it doesn't usually go past #2 on the control setting.