Evaporation, how much is too much???

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong place..or if it's been covered already. I checked the site for evaporation and didn't see anything......so here it goes.

I know each part of the country is different due to outside temps & humidity. But approx how much water is expected to be lost to evaporation on a daily basis?? I live in NY ( Long Island to be more precise) and I notice I'm losing approximately 1/4" a day of water. Maybe a little bit more. Is that normal?? I know I lose water with the kids getting out and jumping in doing CANNNNNONBALLLS!!! Should that water be taken into consideration too???

Thanks for any info. This site is awesome. I will try and post some photos of my backyard "oasis". :cheers:

do a google search for "bucket test"

basically the test measures how much your pool loses in a period of time compared to a bucket of water. They will both lose the same percentage of water through evaporation ideally.

Hey, Tall Guy,

Welcome to the forum. 1/4" daily is pretty close to normal that is typically reported on the forum. Like you said, folks in the desert SW will losw even more.

1/4 inch daily seems about average for my pool, as well.

Everyone here loves pics.

Send yours in to Jason and he'll get you up in the slideshow on the homepage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.