Pump / Motor Ringing Sound

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Tampa, Florida
I noticed a small leak under the pump housing, so I obtained the appropriate Go-Kit and replaced all the seals. I put everything together and it worked fine. One day later, I'm hearing an intermittent ringing sound from the pump/motor. It's the same type of ringing sound you might hear if run your finger around the edge of a wine glass.

Everything worked fine before the tune-up.....pressure, flow, all of it was within normal parameters for this pool. After the tune-up, everything still works fine, all within normal parameters. There is no bearing noise, no grinding, pressure is fine....no leaks, etc. The only thing at issue is this ringing sound that occurs about once a minute, and lasts for about five seconds. It starts softly and ends softly. I followed the install instructions to the letter, including lubricating where indicated.

Any ideas?

Problem seems to be solved. I'm posting what I found so others can reference it if needed.

I pulled everything apart to double-check my work. I took a closer look at the impeller. I held it up to the sun and noticed a small object lodged in one of the vanes near the center hub. I fished it out and found that it was a piece of blue plastic shaped like a bead, just big enough to get stuck in there. I removed it, reassembled everything, and now it runs fine.....with no ringing noise.

Could it be that this bead of plastic was enough to unbalance the impeller, which could cause some type of resonance on the motor shaft? Just a theory. Then again, as suggested, it could also have been corrosion working it's way off the shaft with the new seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.