Paid for the pool today

momof3

Jun 19, 2009
Kentucky
and they start digging tomorrow.. wooohoooo!!!

While I was at the pool store I mentioned using the BBB method. The pool guy looked at me like I was crazy he said that I will always have a green pool and it wont be sanitary to swim in.. I am not educated enough on the BBB method to plea my case so I just smiled and walked out.. He told me after the pool is all filled to wait 3 or 4 days and come back with a water sample.. I assume this is when he will try to start selling me "stuff".. So how soon after the pool is filled should I start adding stuff to it?? I am ordering the test kit recommended here but in the mean time they will be giving me strips...

OH,, pool guy said stores are getting rid of the drop test kits and going with the strips because strips are more accurate...

Also, I asked pool guy how many gallons my pool will be and he said 16000 to 18000 gal's... Shouldn't he be able to give me more of a definite answer than that??

Thanks for all your help this site is awesome!!!!

The first evening you want to balance the PH, add 2 ppm of chlorine, and get started adding CYA. Depending on how much you trust the test strips, and what they read, you might want to adjust the TA as well.

If you have a flat bottom throughout, they should know the exact volume. But if they are digging out the deep end then it is reasonable that he can only give you an estimate.

The pool guy looked at me and said "I have been working here for 10 years and have been servicing pool's since I was 8 years old" lol

I also wanted to ask about adding DE. Pool guy said not to do it so my water doesnt get used to having it... HUH??? Can my water and pump get "used" to having it?? I really love the idea of swimming in a crystal clear pool and had planned on adding DE to my pool... Is there a reason I shouldn't do this?? Will it hurt my pool??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HOpefully the pic's will show up

The first pic shows 2 orange lines.. The inside is where the pool will be and the outside is where the drop will start.

The second pic shows the drop which is about 2.5 feet. I really have no idea what to do with the "trench" area. I don't really want to just leave it open because I worry about someone falling and getting hurt.. Also, I think this will put the pool level so close to the ground it will be easy to get in just from the grass area.. HOpe that makes sense.. I am soooo stressed about this...

Thanks for your help..

Attachments

• PoolPic1.jpg
    PoolPic1.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 367
  • PoolPic2.jpg
    PoolPic2.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 367
Just make sure your your pump is not to big for your filter. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

It happened to me, and it seems to me that it happens way to often, and also is the cause of a lot filtering problems.

example pentair usa said my ta 60d was a good match for a 1.5 hp whisperflow, but in reality twice as big than necesary.

Happy swims
Frank

Dont worry about the "drop off". That all get dug out really deep and backfilled. That trench wont be there on the final grade. when you build a pool, it looks like a bomb went off in the yard. It will all be level and smooth in the end.

Brad S said:
Dont worry about the "drop off". That all get dug out really deep and backfilled. That trench wont be there on the final grade. when you build a pool, it looks like a bomb went off in the yard. It will all be level and smooth in the end.

Actually I don't think they will back fill the area they said you aren't supposed to put dirt against the pool..

Ok, sorry, i just saw you are installing an AG pool. They should level it off. Dont worry. Let them do the install then make a judgement. You cant tell how anything will look until they are finished.

There needs to be a small "tench" along the side of the pool where the ground is higher, unless you want to regrade a much larger area (which they don't appear to be planning to do). There can't be dirt directly against the pool and the bottom needs to be level with the lowest point of the area where the pool needs to go, so there isn't much you can do about that.

One solution I have seen is to put in a hedge along that edge, to cover up the slope. Another approach is to build a deck in that area, so the "trench" is under the deck and not seen. You will want to do something, it doesn't usually need to be too much, to prevent the slope from eroding.

I have seen lots of pic's on here of ppl putting something in to fill in the space between the pool and higher ground.. Eventually I want to add a splash deck on that side of the pool but that is something to be done later...

I filled my area around the pool with leftover sand...and then some leftover flat stones from a walkway project. I only had enough to go close to half way around and I plan to build a deck to go around the rest...hopefully someday.

I believe my installer said not to put anything with a high lime content too close as it would be corrosive.

Anything placed against the pool can hold water against the structure, which will cause corrosion eventually. Material against the pool walls can also push the walls in if the pool is ever drained. There are a few "above ground" pools that are designed to be buried, but they are rather rare.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.