Noobi with gree algae issues

KevinW

Jul 6, 2007
NJ
new to the site and I have been reading a bunch on algea products, but I need some guidance please. We have gotten a lot of bad advice in the past and need to get on track.

my pool is about 3 seasons old, fighting with algae every year. 27,000 gal vinyl, hayward 300# sand filter with zeolite. 1st year the auto chlorinator was hooked up backward by installers (so no chlorine). used el-cheapo bags mostly, with very little testing. 2nd year was better, used bags + some 12% CL (and some borax & baking soda), but still had the algae problem in the edges. I closed and opened the pool myself and the water was clear, but had green on the bottom.

this year, multiple mistakes were made. After opening, we relied on the test strips (bad idea). Did one shock using 5 bags of el-cheapo (55%). Now we are using the 12% CL. we cleared up the pool (but with algae still present). went on vacation for 2 weeks. added 2 gals CL before we left and neighbor added 2 gals while we were away. forgot to turn autoCL back on.

Green pool bottom when we came back. Started vacuuming and shocking (but not enough I fear).

I have to get the numbers from home, but I remember the CYA was 95 and PH was 7.2. After dumping a foot of water and adding fresh, did not put enough CL back in. Now we have "antifreeze" colored water. After reading CYA info here, I put in 10 Gals of 12% CL, probably too much, but we are at our wits end. Bought the HTH-6 test kit and have been trying to learn how to use it, but with the high CL, having trouble.

Pool store wants us to use "Green Treat" from United Chem, is this any good?

We are running filter 24/7 and backwashing often, but no more green is coming out. We are ready to pop the top on the filter to see what is happening.

Should we replace the zoelite?

All the other posts recommend keeping chlorine levels up until algae dies, any idea how long that will take?

Thanks!

KevinW said:
Should we replace the zoelite?

All the other posts recommend keeping chlorine levels up until algae dies, any idea how long that will take?

Thanks!

No sense changing the zeolite, it won't help.

Keeping the chlorine levels up requires testing every few hours. Your chlorine will be rapidly consumed by the algae and can all be gone in as little as three or four hours. You need to check and adjust as often as possible. If you ever let it drop to zero, it's just like starting over. If you stay on it, you should see serious improvement after two or three days.

Welcome to the forum!

Best bet is to get a full set of numbers, especially your CYA. You can dilulte CL readings with distilled water, one to one ratio will double your reading, 2 to 1 will triple etc etc. to get readings above what your kit can test. If your CYA truly is 95, then you will need a minimun shock level of 25ppm. Test your pool 2-3 times a day and keep adding chlorine (bleach) to keep it at that level and brush often. When the level holds overnight, the algae is dead. Vacumn and backwash.

Kevin,

I don't know what "green treat" is but you don't need it. You need chlorine....lot's of it.

You will struggle getting any accuracy using the dilution method but, if it's what you have, you can make do.

Chlorine will clear your pool but you need to read the "stickies" section and get a good idea of how to apply it....consistency is the key.

Dave, I did try the dilution method this morning, but I did not get the results I needed. I will try again tonight and thru the weekend. I will post numbers here. thanks

"green treat" is a chem that a pool store is telling me to use. Sodium bromide it what is in it.

If it's got bromide in it, then you definitely do not want to use it. Bromine is an alternative sanitizer, and has it's own set of problems, from what I've read.

Unfortunately, there's no silver bullet to treating an algae bloom. Shock levels of chlorine and pool owner's patience is the prescribed method. If you're bound and determined to use an algaecide, then use one that has polyquat 60 as it's active ingredient.

OK, did the tests with the HTH6, but I dont like the results.

TC=over 40
PH=7.2
CYA=120
TA=?? it turned gold at 120 and stayed gold through 350, never turned red
TH=did not turn red

Pool test at store today:

TC=>10
FC>10
CYA=151?
PH=8.4
TA=104
TH=57

differentpool store test before algae bloom and the 10 gals of CL
TC=2.8
FC=2.7
PH=7.2
CYA=95
TA=130
TH=90

The readings are all over the place.

We have been putting in algea control since opening (tried to follow directions) it is a store brand called algae preventer. active ingredient is "poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride.

Pool does look better now (less green) after spouse vacumned it.

The main thing I see in all of your posts is the fact that your cya is way high :cry: That is why you have a consistent algae problem. With the cya you have you should always have a minimum of 8ppms of chlorine, and to kill the algae you will need to shock to 25 and leave it there. As you can see the chlorine test at the pool store was only 10, and you said you shocked it to 40, either you did the test wrong, or the algae is so bad that it used up all the chlorine really fast (which is a real possiblility), You can get your chlorine really high with the cya you have - you can get it up to 30 and keep it there. You will have to add bleach a couple of times a day. The more consistent you are the faster the algae bloom will be. I would suggest you stop using any pucks, as they are adding cya - if it is at all possible, I would do a partial drain and refill to get rid of the high cya. Your other numbers are ok for a vinyl liner. If you don't do a partial drain and refill, then you will have to keep your chlorine at about 12ppms at all times.

The poly stuff is called poly quat, and it will only help PREVENT algae, not help you get rid of it. Save your money and keep up with the bleach. With such a high CYA, you will need to keep about 25ppm Cl in your pool to shock. Test often and add bleach to keep the level up. When your FC holds overnight and your water looks good, you are done!

With a very high chlorine level, some of the other tests, esp pH, are inaccurate. Get your algae under control, then figure out the other levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
talked to Dave last night and he confirmed what everyone has been saying, thanks! My CYA is very high due to pucks, they have been turned off for a while now. OTO test last night (undiluted) showed a very deep orange (I figure this is above 25ppm)and the pool was brushed.

Test this morning is the same shade of orange(I guess I put enough CL in initially:) ) and water is noticibly better. Not fixed yet, but getting there. a couple more days... going to pick up more CL and looking into Dave's high chlorine tests.

thanks!

You owe it to yourself to get a good test kit! What's $80 when you spent 1000's of dollars on the pool? And taking matters into your own hands will save you mucho money in the long run... it is a win-win situation!

You need to use the dilution method for testing, as "the same shade of deep orange" does not guarantee that you have the same numbers. You lose accuracy with the dilution method, sure, but it is more accurate than "deep orange"! Dilute with 3 or even 4 parts distilled water so you get a better picture of where you stand.

Keep hitting it with bleach, and keep us posted! You are almost there!

Pool is blue and clearing. The 3 part dilution is still showing way higher than 5, I put another gallon of CL in tonight, brushed and continue to filter. Backwash today had a siginficant amount of green. did a little fresh water addition too.

That was really fast. Congratulations.

You may want to retest your CYA now that you pool is clean. I spent weeks thinking my pool was at 70 while fighting algae only to have the number read more like 30-40 after the water cleared.

I did take a sample to 3 stores, got 80, 151 and >150. Trying to get a kit from dave to do it myself. Since the chlorine was high all the other tests gave inconsistant readings.

Pool is still clear and chlorine is still high. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.