fiberglass and plaster leaking at the seam

May 23, 2013
Hi forum members,

Unfortunately for me, my inground pool is leaking 4-6" of water a day. Leak expert came and identified several sources of the leak at various points where the fiberglass wall meets the plaster floor. At those points, there is a caulking/epoxy compound that seems to have worn, causing the leak(s).

Leak professional suggested draining the pool to below that joint/seam...then removing the old caulking, then cleaning the area, then recaulking.

My question to the forum members...does this sound like the correct process? Any tips, tricks, or pointers in doing this repair? Thoughts on a particular epoxy or caulking to use? Especially since I'm here in the northeast were the winters get very cold...so the caulking would need to withstand temperatures below freezing.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. All thoughts or ideas are welcome.

I would LOVE to see a picture of this set up. This will also bump your post up so maybe some one will have an answer for you. I will also keep thinking about it. I am thinking the stuff used on aquariums but not sure how that would hold up to chlorine. Think about boat stuff as well......

Kim:kim:

Unfortunately, I am unable to upload a picture. The website keeps giving me an error message ... says I exceed quota by 172KB followed by 3 lines of code that I dont understand.

I am ready to take a bulldozer to my pool. Extremely frustrated. I cant find anyone to come out and take a look either. As soon as I tell the pool repair professionals that my fiberglass and plaster pool needs leak repair...they say to call them back when I decide start over with a new vinyl pool. Not joking.

Chuckdog, where are you located? Are still some builders of fiberglass and concrete hybrid pools, and you may be able to get replacement fiberglass walls, or they may recommend a sealer if you contact them. Here are a couple I found on google:

Swimcraft, Inc. Manufacturer of Fiberglass Swimming Pools, Acrylic Fiberglass Swimming Pools, Walls and Steps with a concrete bottom

pools - Dugger Swimming Pool Supply - Bethalto,, IL

- - - Updated - - -

Also you can use the search bar on the upper right corner of this page and type in "fiberglass and concrete hybrid pools" and that will pull up a bunch of threads we have on TFP. One of them may have some useful information for you.

Hi forum members,

My question to the forum members...does this sound like the correct process? Any tips, tricks, or pointers in doing this repair? Thoughts on a particular epoxy or caulking to use? Especially since I'm here in the northeast were the winters get very cold...so the caulking would need to withstand temperatures below freezing.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. All thoughts or ideas are welcome.

I completed a rehab of my hybrid pool last year and I was never able to find a sealant that was appropriate for chlorinated pools. Ultimately I used Tremco Vulkem 116 in white although there are different colors available that may match your pool color better. If you read the instructions for Vulkem 116 it indicates that the sealant is not appropriate for chlorinated water. I called Tremco and asked what would happen if I used 116 in a pool but didn't really get a satisfactory answer so I used it anyway since I had already purchased it.

You don't show a location but if you are near a Menard's they carry Vulkem and have a pretty good price on it, otherwise Home Depot would be a close second. Definitely don't pay more than 6-7 per tube for it shipped.

So far it is holding up just fine, although it is more of a beige color now rather than white.

Last edited:
I am in Massachusetts.

I actually may end up using a Flexseal product like Flexseal tape or Flexseal caulking. The other product I am considering is Aqua Bond. Do any readers have any experience using those products?

I don't know if the Flex seal tape will hold on the concrete section. I have seen videos of people using Flextape for vinyl pool leaks, but the vinyl has to be very clean for it to stick. I have not used Aqua Bond but it does sound like a good product to try.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.