Sky blue water, cannot see the bottom! ?

QueenP

Jun 9, 2016
Basehor, KS
I could seriously scream! I have read through threads and threads on this forum trying to diagnose my issue. We haven't ever had the issue we are having this year with opening our above ground swimming pool! It was swamp green. We have shocked it and shocked it and shocked it...using liquid bleach. We have been cleaning the filter, back washing and vacuuming every day. The pump is running 24/7 and has been the entire time. The pool is now sky blue, but so darn cloudy that we cannot even begin to see the bottom. My hands are in the air! I don't know what else to do besides maybe get some floc. We've been working on this for over 3 weeks now. Please help me!

Pool size:
15' x 30' w/ 42" wall
12000 gallons

Readings:
FC: 3ppm
Ph: 7.2
Alkalinity: 130 (this just went up today, it was previously at 110)
CYA: 30

Big Breath ------ better now?! Welcome to the forum!

You need to follow the SLAM process - shocking implies a sort of one time thing, SLAM is maintaining shock until the water is clear and the FC holds overnight.
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

With a CYA of 30 (however we would like to know how you are getting your test results, your own kit or other) you need to Maintain a FC of 12, all day, to get results.

Take a read through the above links.

Take care.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I actually had read that article and followed the instruction, keeping the chlorine at shock levels for a week and a half when it finally passed the OCLT. My husband and I are ready to drain the whole thing and start over, at this point. I told him that I was actually going to talk to "my guys at Trouble Free Pool" and get some advice. ?

- - - Updated - - -

Right now, l am just using the Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit and a CYA test kit that is sold separately....until I can get the tf-100 kit. The highest reading my Kit will give for FC is 5ppm. ?

Pool math tells me to add 160 ounces of 8.25% bleach to bring FC from 3ppm up to 12ppm. Until today, I have consistently been adding at least 242 ounces of liquid bleach to my pool, keeping the chlorine off the chart. Is that too much?

yes - but how often have you been doing it? That is what a test kit that can measure above 10 ppm FC gives you. One is to not waste money on bleach that burns off very quickly due to your low CYA, and two you are not able to dose back to your shock level. You most likely have spent more on additional chlorine during this process than what a FAS-DPD test would have cost.

So the sooner you can get your TF100 -- the better.

Take care.

Makes sense. Thank you! That awesome test kit is for sure on my list now. After this year, I don't know how I'll survive another season without it. We had zero issues last year. That's why we are thrown for such a loop.

Meanwhile, I purchased enough liquid chlorine to bring my chlorine level up to 12ppm (according to the pool math calculator). Should I re-check chlorine level every 1-2 hours? I know I can't read higher than 5ppm, but if it reaches 5 and I dump another bottle in, will that be sufficient, given what I have to work with right now?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.