Disaster while removing concrete decking

May 23, 2010
Marion, Iowa
My husband asked that I get advice quickly. I'll take private text and emails if anyone wants to give an opinion. We have a concrete contractor at the our pool now removing some of the slabs surrounding our inground pool. These slabs have settled and we feared more settling will occur. Around the skimmer, the concrete was crumbling and when my husband began to chip away at it last week, he found a lot of the dirt and sand had washed away and at that point made the decision to get a contractor involved. The contractor began jacking out the old concrete and discovered the spa area was built wrong (his opinion). The wall of the spa is actually a poured wall. He began to cut away and realized that replacing the concrete will not be simple because he cannot pour a slab to connect to a vertical wall. His solution is to pour a slab which sits upon that wall, which would raise the depth of our spa on only one side and would eliminate the coping. What a mess. He broke the skimmer pulling out the concrete. He wants a decision immediately and I'm not even sure how to attach photos.

I'm sorry if I'm not following your question completely, been a long day already. I hope this helps....
So I just tore out my concrete deck. If yours is constructed like mine, the pool shell is about 12 inches thick, and the deck was about 5. The deck actually just rested on the pool shell, so the 5 inch slab of concrete deck narrowed down to a 2-3 inch lip which sat on top of the pool shell and joined into the brick coping. Can something like that not be done to keep your height flush all around? It sounds like that's what he's planning on doing, minus that lip

Thank you for responding. Now that more concrete has been removed, it does appear that our shell is about 12 inches thick. They cut away but have found that the shell (wall) was poured like a step. The wall is like a stair step in that the first edging around the spa and maybe the rest of the pool has a lip on it. When they cut in, that's what they discovered. Had they known this, they wouldn't have cut so close to the actual wall. Now decisions must be made because the contractor just wants to tear it out and make a quick fix. Are my photos coming through?
Here is a link to the photo and would love to know if you can see it. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.