Planning a new pool and backyard build, Phoenix, AZ

Jun 18, 2017
Phoenix
Hello Everybody, I am new to this forum. I have been planning a pool and backyard build for few months. I have met with many pool builders and the quotes are around $100,000 depending on options which i thought was excessive. My question is what is the potential savings for doing owner/builder or through byop? I am looking to build a whole backyard including gate, driveway, pathways, pool, pergola, outside kitchen with grill and pizza oven, and landscaping. Is this something doable as owner/builder? can somebody supply me with subs list in phoenix area?
Thank you

You might want to try contacting tfp members who used BYOP for their pool. A quick search on the tfp search bar showed there were positive experiences in AZ with them. They might have some suggestions and tips for you.

One of the things i learned is when the pool is done and filled with water it needs to have "start up treatment" or i don't know what the process called. Basically getting the water ready and running with chemicals. Is that something i can do myself or i will need to hire a professional help which is around $500.
Any guide here on how to do?

daefash! What a fun but scary time for you! I have some folks that have done OB (owner builds) that I am going to give a shout out to for you. They can give you their perceptive on PB vs OB.

Here is what I know for reading so much..............the best thing you can do is call and get quotes from, say plumping subs. Try for 5 but get at least 3 if at all possible. Pick THEIR brains for other trades subs. Write it all down. After a while you might start seeing a pattern. They all tend to know each other. Who do they like to do work behind? Who will they NOT do work behind?

I have you SO covered on getting the water started up and balanced! It IS something you can do your self with TFP guidance. See we already saved you $500! SWEET!

Let me get on the PM to the OB folks!

Oh and you can get us started by showing us a picture of where all of this will be going!

Kim:kim:

Hi daefash!
I'm in AZ & just finished a build using BYOP.
I can give you my sub list & my experience with BYOP & how the process was for me.
Please message me & I will share what I know.

I am excited to see what you build - it sounds like you will have am amazing pool & backyard when you're done!

Welcome to TFP! You will learn a lot from the wonderful people here.

One of the main things you need to understand is weather you are going with PB or doing OB you STILL need to manage the subs that will be onsite because at the end of the day the PB or construction manager won't be there daily and it's up to you to make sure things are right.
Once you cross the hurdle in your mind that you will manage he subs it becomes easier to do OB then you can start looking at all the ways you save money by doing it yourself.
It's a fun journey and you have a whole community to help you along the way. If you look at my build thread I ask a million questions and they were answered and my pool honestly came out better than I expected.
Feel free to answer any specific questions you have . Good luck :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My plan is
35'x18' symmetrical pool 3x5x4.5
Pentair equipments, SWG, infloor system, fully automated system
One shear in wall at back
Pebbletech or sheen? Any expert opinion?
Outside kitchen with Alumawood? Anybody has experience with it?
Landscaping
It is going in this backyard which is 110'x34'
It looks like a prison yard now but i assure you it is not :)
62b51b3fe2d3255dbe93c5a7d14c9f20.jpg
3110efb386dd6b96223cf58c67857ef3.jpg

Nice space to work with. 3' is very shallow and that PHX heat will make for some warm water for sure...

So glad to hear it's not a prison yard!! No one will believe it's the same place once you're finished!

Now about the 3.5 depth. Who and how many will be using the pool most often? What do these people enjoy using the pool for - looking at it, standing around with beverages and talking, floating, jumping and playing water games, swimming laps, water aerobics, playing sport games like volleyball? What are their heights?

Answer these questions, and then we'll talk more about the depths.

It is me and my wife with a 5 months old baby. My wife likes to do laps, for me it will be all about relaxing and playing in the water.

So glad to hear it's not a prison yard!! No one will believe it's the same place once you're finished!

Now about the 3.5 depth. Who and how many will be using the pool most often? What do these people enjoy using the pool for - looking at it, standing around with beverages and talking, floating, jumping and playing water games, swimming laps, water aerobics, playing sport games like volleyball? What are their heights?

Answer these questions, and then we'll talk more about the depths.

I'm 5'7" (or used to be!), and I'm so glad our shallow end is 4'. My PB said 3', but the designer agreed with me. My sons were both swimmers and didn't want it less the 4'. More and more people seem to be going with 4' for the shallow except those whose adults are much shorter.

If you guys don't want to play sports in the pool, what about including a deep end? Not necessarily for diving, but kids love jumping in and swimming down in a deep end for games and such. My deep end is 7' which I enjoy for water exercise. I couldn't tread water in 5'. Just throwing it out there for thought - it's definitely a decision you can't change. There's no right or wrong. From reading a lot here, I've come to believe there are definitely 2 kinds of people - sport pool people and those who gotta have a deep end! Even at my age, I love diving down for pine needles!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.