Zero CYA

belgique

LifeTime Supporter
Just read some other threads and remain confused. I have zero CYA maybe because I've been doing a lot of vac to waste and refilling. I've been pouring 15% chlorine in and having trouble getting/keeping FC up above 10 even using pool calculator.

I haven't run other tests yet other than Ph is 7.0. (Using the Taylor super kit you folks recommend). The pool is finally blue and trying to clear. Vacing to waste not showing trash or green anymore.

--Is the zero CYA causing the problem?
--Is adding chlorine during the day (Hot and full sun) a waste of time?

I'm assuming the plan is to keep pouring chlorine!

Thanks in advance

keep pouring and add CYA. There is a good chance that some of your CYA has converted to ammonia...you will need to keep adding bleach until you can get your water to shock level, then keep it there until you have an overnight FC loss of 1ppm or less.

From the shocking how to in pool school:

Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level

Repeat steps 1 and 2 as frequently as practical, as often as once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:
CC is 0.5 or lower;

An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;

And, if you don't have a FAS-DPD test kit, the water is clear.

I suggest you add enough CYA to get you to about 30 to protect the daytime chlorine. The sun is eating it up!

Add the CYA using the sock method in front of a return. 24 hours after it has dissolved, treat your pool as though the CYA is there (iow, raise the FC & shock level to your new CYA level).
Don't try to test for CYA for about a week, tho.

Once you are done shocking, you should raise your CYA to 40 or 50.

Butterfly said:
I suggest you add enough CYA to get you to about 30 to protect the daytime chlorine. The sun is eating it up!

I'm sorry and know I'm going to get a :hammer: but what is "stabilizer"...i.e., what do I buy? It is not listed in Pool School "definitions" (there's a suggestion) and searches here and else where just say stabilizer yet I can't find it on line etc. Thanks! Steve

belgique said:
Butterfly said:

I'm sorry and know I'm going to get a :hammer: but what is "stabilizer"...i.e., what do I buy? It is not listed in Pool School "definitions" (there's a suggestion) and searches here and else where just say stabilizer yet I can't find it on line etc. Thanks! Steve
Sorry, Steve. CYA (cyanuric acid) is also sometimes labeled as stabilizer or conditioner.

You can find it at Lowes, Home Depot, pool stores. You want to make sure that the jug/bucket you purchase has at least 90% cyanuric acid .

Use Jason's Pool Calculator to see how much you need to purchase. You got a huge pool :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.