Average FC that you maintain?

Average FC maintained by your SWG?

• Total voters
tagprod said:
crazycanuck said:
you only run your pump 3 hours in a 24 hour period??

LOL, I was thinking the same thing about your 15 hour a day runtime. 3 hours does seem a little scant.

It's only a 7,000 gallon pool with 8 returns and 2 skimmers. And a 2HP pump. I get almost one turnover per hour. I argued with PB saying it was way too much pump but the way it's designed it seems to be doing a good job. Has a spa fountain and 21 foot long weeping wall with nine outlets along the wall. Gets good circulation!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
tagprod said:
Poolsean said:
FC = 3.0
Cya = 60 (about to bump it up to 80)
Run hours/day = 8 summer / 6 Winter (as if there's a winter in Florida)

when you bump up your CYA are you going to bump the FC accordingly?

Tagprod, I usually run my system at 80 ppm Cya with 3 ppm, without problems! Since I installed the Total Control model over a year ago, I've run my cya down to about 40 -50 ppm @ 3 ppm. I had reason to switch from the ORP automation back to manual control for a few weeks and found out that I had to run the system at a higher output level than when I was at 80 ppm cya. I added some cya, that's why I'm at 60 ppm, but will be increasing it this weekend.
My guess is that my ORP may reduce but will also power the cell less to maintain my FC residual.
Theoretically, cya levels over 50 ppm is detrimental to the ORP controller.

Sean,

Can you please elaborate on why you went to manual vs. Orp controlled and issues with the orp controller? I was just about convinced to buy the Total control, but if there's an issue with CYA levels, I may need to reconsider. Thanks.

The higher the CYA level the less the chlorine level will influence the ORP reading. In practice having CYA levels above 50 will make it difficult for an ORP based system (such as the Total Control) to control the chlorine level reliably. Nothing gets damaged by a high CYA level, it simply doesn't work very well until you lower the CYA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.