keeping the lid up...

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
ya'll, the husband is going to be out of town for a WEEK. I can't get the hot tub lid up and down by myself. Do you think it would be bad to leave it open for a week so I can use it?

Also, bc I never do the hot tub, how will I know how much chlorine to put in (we use those tab things in a floaty thing) - don't laugh - i do the pool!

It shouldn't hurt anything to leave it open, you'll just have to scoop out any debris that land in there and it may take a little longer to warm up, although with the weather we've been having lately you might not have to warm it up at all!

Ask hubs how much chlorine he puts in and how often.

If you do the pool, you can certainly do the hot tub! You can leave the cover off, but I've learned the outside world is very messy and you will have to battle contaminants. Is your cover the kind that folds in half? Can't you just open and close half of it instead of taking the whole thing off? Here is a thread on hot tub chemistry Chemisty for Hot Tub and you can use your TF-100 test kit to test your hot tub water just like your pool water.

30a4a4891810eec7ab200d52811b789a.jpg

Hot tub in here

It's about 93f here every day

I will
Read the spa thing.

Our lid very heavy.

hot tub numbers

This is the first time I have used our test kit for the pool.
So what it shows is this:

0 FC
CH 72
TA 60
pH 8.2

What do I do first? Husband says we don't "need to worry about the CH" because it's fiberglass. I have never done the tub, I do the pool.

I used another pool calculator so I wouldnt have to erase all my pool data from the calculator.

So based on 475 gallons,
it said add 3oz of 6% bleach
10oz CH stuff
for TA 3oz. etc.

What do I do second. First is chorine but we have the pellet things in a floater and it's full. Soooo? helppppp.

Re: hot tub numbers

I'm not a spa guy, but 3 things catch my eye on your tests:
1 - CYA? Make sure it's at least around 20-30
2 - No FC - add some bleach asap
3 - PH too high (increases potential for scale) - lower with muriatic acid to the mid 7s

You can read more on the TFP How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?) page. Look towards the bottom of post #1.

Hope that helps until others chime in.

Re: hot tub numbers

I have been following that sticky for my hot tub maintenance for several years now and it works great. Read through that and ask any questions.

Okay. One says to make CYA to X. The link that I saw says don't worry about CYA.
Second, I mistyped the pH thing. It's like 7.8.

I have the chlorine up to 4.
It says a squiggy of 50 for TA. Don't know what that means. and if there's a sticky somewhere, pooldv, I am missing it. When I clicked I got a HUGE message. I copied the long summaryl

BTW, another moderator put these two threads together for some reason. My lid question had nothing to do with my water questions. We had never left the lid off before but I have figured out how to do it by myself - I have to get in first!lPain but it works...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The sticky was in the post from Texas Splash. This one, How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

Squiggy? ~50? That means approximately 50.

The threads needed to be merged because you are discussing the test results numbers in both threads and it is best to keep those discussions in the same thread. It is confusing and more work for people answering your questions if you are discussing water test results in two different threads.

One important question, are the tablets that go in the hot tub chlorine or bromine?

I think they're bromine

- - - Updated - - -

Okay. My message disappeared.

Here is my question. WE have those bromine tab things in a floaty thingee. I was talking the hubs about this and he was arguing with me about using bleach vs. bromine. The sticky I read - the poster didn't know anything about bromine, he said. SO I added the bleach last night and got the tub up to 4. Do I take the tabs out?
I told him that we need to test the FC and he said you don't have to do that every day with the bromine tabs in the floaty thing. My response: But there was NO chlorine!!!

So right now my question is: Do I pull those bromine things out? If so, that means I am committing myself to bleach and follow fiberglas spa protocol?

No, it is the opposite, once a bromine tub always a bromine tub until you drain the water. Yes, all of the advice we have given was based on a chlorine/bleach hot tub because we did not know the tub was sanitized with bromine. To save confusion in the future you can add that information to your signature so we don't give you the wrong advice based on lack of info.

So, to maintain a bromine hit tub follow this sticky, How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?

No, adding bleach will not cause a problem in a bromine tub, you still need to use bleach or MPS to oxidize the bromide into bromine. It is all explained in the sticky. My personal opinion is that using bromine in a spa is more complicated than chlorine but some folks prefer to use it. But, there is a definitely more to learn when using bromine.

We have these products

So still a little confused on the whole bromine thing. Tested the FC. 0 again after 2 days and I wasn't in there since the test!
This worries me bc we are out of town next week ...

I put 3 bromine tabs in ... I have the protocol but that's for chlorine

So how to manage this tub ? U all say just throw chlorine in but u can't if u aren't here ! And I really don't want to eat up all my cherms on testing - is there a better or faster way for quick checks ?
f84b48d8ce9c9ef2d76d0c975aa74c95.jpg

I read the sticky about spas and bromine. Don't know how i missed it. Darnnit. Anyway, I see there is a test kit. I will order it. Man, it's expensive to be responsible!

BUT still, can I use any of the products to get rid of them and then just go to bleach once a week shock like the sticky says?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.