Filling and opening pool

Jun 24, 2009
We are going to be filling our pool today. I am going to Leslies to buy the recommended test kit. I was looking at the Pool Calculator, but it says the measurements are for for Goal levels, not start up. How do I determine how much to add for start up? My pool is a 25,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with a DE filter.

you put your goal into the goal column. the difference would be if the pool was just built. if so, read this:
pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up
if it wasn't just built, you'll mainly need chlorine/bleach, cyanuric acid and maybe other stuff depending on your fill water levels.
it's unlikely leslie's has the right kit in the store. they will offer you a different one that isn't the recommended one. I recommend bringing in the printed page of the recommended one or at least the item number from their website. they will be able to order it for you, though it's a much poorer value than getting the tf100 from www.tftestkits.net and will probably take longer (mine took over two weeks. I ordered the tf100 in the meantime and took back the leslie's one when it finally showed up.)

The TF Test kits ship fast. I ordered mine on Sunday and got it on Tuesday. That's not bad being it shipped from North Carolina to California :goodjob: As far as chlorine testing, I recommend the FAS-DPD Chlorine test. The color change from red to clear leaves no doubt, and it is accurate to 0.5 to 0.2ppm (depending on test volume used).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.