Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filling and opening pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Filling and opening pool

We are going to be filling our pool today. I am going to Leslies to buy the recommended test kit. I was looking at the Pool Calculator, but it says the measurements are for for Goal levels, not start up. How do I determine how much to add for start up? My pool is a 25,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with a DE filter.
    18X33 AGP, 14kgal., 20" sand filter with 100lbs Zeobest, not sure of pump size or flow

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filling and opening pool

you put your goal into the goal column. the difference would be if the pool was just built. if so, read this:
    pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up
    if it wasn't just built, you'll mainly need chlorine/bleach, cyanuric acid and maybe other stuff depending on your fill water levels.
    it's unlikely leslie's has the right kit in the store. they will offer you a different one that isn't the recommended one. I recommend bringing in the printed page of the recommended one or at least the item number from their website. they will be able to order it for you, though it's a much poorer value than getting the tf100 from www.tftestkits.net and will probably take longer (mine took over two weeks. I ordered the tf100 in the meantime and took back the leslie's one when it finally showed up.)
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

The TF Test kits ship fast. I ordered mine on Sunday and got it on Tuesday. That's not bad being it shipped from North Carolina to California As far as chlorine testing, I recommend the FAS-DPD Chlorine test. The color change from red to clear leaves no doubt, and it is accurate to 0.5 to 0.2ppm (depending on test volume used).
    ~15000 gallon inground, plaster pool
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter Tank, Jandy Stealth SHPF 1.5hp pump, Pentair Legend II cleaner
    Leslie's DPD Complete Test Kit, TF Tests FAS-DPD Chlorine Test Kit
    Heliocol solar pool heating (HC-40 x6)

4. Back To Top    #4

The goal levels can be used for start up. Use the low end of the range for the goals - or recommended levels.

You have to test your fill water to now what your "now" values are.

TF-100! Can't go wrong.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com