What to do with old chemicals?

J20832

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2009
Olney, MD
Now that I am using the BBB method, what can I do with all my old 3" tabs and granular di-chlor? Can I use the granular for laundry? Santizing my trash cans? Any suggestions kindly appreciated, I hate to waste all those chemicals (but am glad to not have to purchase in the future).

Jay

How long will they retain their potency ? I foolishly purchased a ton of chemicals earlier in the year... I also have way too much Soda Ash, Algecide, etc... I am talking at least a hundred pounds of chlorine (in various forms) and about 75 lbs of Soda Ash.

I'd keep them. The tabs and shock should be good for at least a couple of years if kept sealed properly. The algaecide also has a long shelf life. I don't know about the soda ash, as I never need it, in my area.

Definitely keep your pucks. They will come in handy. Our CYA dropped to about 15 after the heavy rains and winter and I'm taking advantage of just having a few pucks in the floater and checking my water each evening. So far, I've hardly had to add any bleach. I can go 3-4 days before having to add .5 - 1 qt of 6%. What a lazy summer...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.