Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to do with old chemicals?

1. Back To Top    #1

What to do with old chemicals?

Now that I am using the BBB method, what can I do with all my old 3" tabs and granular di-chlor? Can I use the granular for laundry? Santizing my trash cans? Any suggestions kindly appreciated, I hate to waste all those chemicals (but am glad to not have to purchase in the future).

Jay
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What to do with old chemicals?

Just save them in a temp controlled area. You can use the tabs for vacations if you want, the dichlor can be used to boost CYA in the future, if the time comes.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

How long will they retain their potency ? I foolishly purchased a ton of chemicals earlier in the year... I also have way too much Soda Ash, Algecide, etc... I am talking at least a hundred pounds of chlorine (in various forms) and about 75 lbs of Soda Ash.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Then perhaps try to sell them on Ebay or Craigs list.

Granular products have a good shelf life if store properly. I'm not 100% certain on how long though.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd keep them. The tabs and shock should be good for at least a couple of years if kept sealed properly. The algaecide also has a long shelf life. I don't know about the soda ash, as I never need it, in my area.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Definitely keep your pucks. They will come in handy. Our CYA dropped to about 15 after the heavy rains and winter and I'm taking advantage of just having a few pucks in the floater and checking my water each evening. So far, I've hardly had to add any bleach. I can go 3-4 days before having to add .5 - 1 qt of 6%. What a lazy summer...
    32x16 buried Doughboy, 4' shallow - 7' deep
    Pentair Dynamo 1 hp, 2-speed - Pentair 150# SD40 w/zeolite (75#)
    One skimmer/two returns/Aquabot Turbo T2