$600 this month..... HELP!!!

As amjohn said, using the scum balls should help. Some folks have said that the scum bugs work better.

Also, using skimmer socks/screens will also catch a lot of the oils and lotions and other 'scummie' stuff.

Last year I was where you are. I could barely see the bottom and kept shocking. Then I found this site and YEA! So you're at the right place for good, no, most excellent recommendations/advice.

This year after opening I had clear water but was going through 4-5 182oz bottles a day with 0 FC by the next day. Finally I got time to shock per the instructions others have referenced. Now I use 1 jug a day with FC dropping from 9 to 6. I have full sun all day so I'm going to increase my CYA from 35-40 to around 50 to see how that does. One thing I did, which you might want to consider is not increase your CYA until you are through shocking. Check out the Pool Calculator and you'll notice that the shock level for higher CYA goes way up. I had to shock at 21 last year due to high CYA. I had plastic jugs everywhere. Once you get through shocking then you can get your CYA up to the recommended level if you are not already there. As the others said...Wait till you get your Test Kit, then you'll be ready to go to battle and win the war.

Good luck

One thing that might help you smile is the creative answers you can give people when they ask about the amount of bleach your having to buy right now. I read a post here recently where people entered their replies. Should do a search and find it. :p

I have followed the advice of the people above me and have been very successful with my pool. If you had any doubt in the advice given here let me tell you I'm new too and have not been steered wrong yet and don't expect to. Very good people here giving you solid information. Enough confidence that I have now become "snooty" about my water quality. :wink:

love the scum balls idea... will get those
have skimmer socks... they do help
good idea about waiting to jack my CYA until I am done shocking
continuing to add bleach until my test kit comes
ROFL about the bleach answers.... I will find that

thanks again all, I am SOO excited to see what I have when I go out there today!

Just remember clearing up the water wont happen over night. It could take up to a week to filter out the dead algae. Each day you should see some improvement in your water then on morning or night you will walk to the pool and presto it will will be clear as a bell!

If your able to, take pics and post them to this thread. We love to see pictures !

when I went out today I could almost see the bottom of the shallow end (read 3 ft) which IS an improvement! It is very encouraging, but I felt that the test I took at the end of the day was more purple then the test I took this morning so I will def. make sure to keep my FC up consistently until I can start testing

I will ask the simpleton about the pics... he is WAY more comp savvy then me :wink: I'm sure he will though :whip: hehehe

Its important to brush your pool as much as possible to keep the algae stirred up so your filter can do its job. Try to keep the FC level up at shock level as much as possible as well.
All test are important, but I think the most important one when your fighting algae is in the morning EARLY to see if your FC loss during the night was less than 1, if it is you know it wont be to much longer.

Keep your POP (pool owners patience) up, and remember it could take a week or more for your pool to clear once your algae is dead .....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.