Pool Painting - Preparing for The Job now doing it Next year

MJCP

Sep 14, 2007
Michigan
Our pool has been flaking since we bought the house, and it appears that after this season painting will be inevitable. I have questions that I hope others here can help with before I even begin planning the details.

My house and pool are elevated about 15 feet above street level on a sloped lot. Do I still need to be concerned about the possibility of the pool "floating" if I drain it?

The pool is about 30 years old, and judging from the empty paint cans in the shed (all different labels) it has been painted at least twice before. The flaking areas are down to the cement and actually deep pitting. The old owners painted over deep flaking and pitting leaving a rather rough surface.
After Cleaning, power washing, TSP, acid washing and re power washing I suspect not all old paint will be removed. Can I patch over old paint? Can I, (Should I?) expect to get a Smooth like new finish? or should I just paint over the bumps and dips like the old owners did?

If I am going to Paint next year should I just drain it at the end of this year? or must I winterize and wait till next year to drain it (Settling, Floating, etc..) BTW I am in SW Michigan, typical 20f temps and the pool gets about 2 feet of water from melted snow by the end of winter.

Any other things I should try to accomplish at the end of this season to prepare for this?
I now know better than to buy the materials early, the shelf life is not long enough.

Thanks for any advice
Mike

I never did get a reply to this last year, so I put off painting this year. More flaking, and next year for sure I'll have to do it.
I still have the same questions, plus, now I'm wondering could I, should I use an angle grinder to smooth the really bad spots? It's one of those Ideas that seems like it would work, but might not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.