Adding salt for "feel"

Tiz, use the calculator to figure out how much you want to add for your comfort level - you don't have a SWCG, so add as much as you need to to get your pool to your comfort level :wink:

It'll do your heart good not to have to measure the salt level - just have as much in the water to make you more comfortable :-D

You're a good man and deserve a pool that doesn't make your 'ticker' act up! :-D

I think I added 3 or 4 large bags last year, and I loved the way it felt. I never tested it, I just went by 'feel'.

Should additional salt be added year to year, or is it a once and done thing? I haven't given too much thought to the salt, as I am still just SO excited about my color change from black to clear water!!! ;)

Hi Tiz,

I have a 12,500 or so gal pool and add 120# of salt per season. I start with 80# and use the pool for a week, see how it feels, and I inevitably add another 40#. I've never tested the salt content. I'm sure I lose quite a bit during the season from splashout and refills but haven't ever added any more.

For sure the water feels silkier with the salt.

We've done it a couple of ways:

1. Slit the bag open, scoop it out with a quart sized cup, broadcast across the surface. When the bag is empty, swish the crystals around with the brush. You'll get what appears like white dust, don't let that worry you. It'll all dissolve within 10 or so minutes when stirred.

2. The fun method is to slit the bag lengthwise and dump it with the salt still in it on the pool bottom at the shallow end, then stomp on the crystals until they dissolve. It's an endothermic reaction, meaning the salt takes energy from the water to dissolve and that means the water in the immediate vicinity feels cold on your feet.

On a sunny day when the sun's rays are slated just right the salt crystals on the bottom will sparkle like diamonds. It's really very pretty.

I am so easily entertained :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With your size pool you'll be adding another 40# for sure before you'll really feel the difference.

Argh! I have to mow lawns which will take some hours but then I plan to turn myself into a prune in the pool for the rest of the weekend.

YEOW! That's not mowing laws, that's cutting grass. It's very nice of you to do that.

We mow 2 acres, not too awful with a tractor, but add the sweeping and trimming and it becomes a real time sucker. To motivate ourselves we made a rule: work before play. Oh, wait . . . that rule was made by our parents and their parents before them :)

Still works though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.