Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding salt for "feel"

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding salt for "feel"

Not sure if this is in the right area or not ....

Thinking about adding salt to our pool (24' AG) for "feel". Is it nessessary to get test strips for that or do I need not worry about it ?
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding salt for "feel"

Tiz, use the calculator to figure out how much you want to add for your comfort level - you don't have a SWCG, so add as much as you need to to get your pool to your comfort level

It'll do your heart good not to have to measure the salt level - just have as much in the water to make you more comfortable

You're a good man and deserve a pool that doesn't make your 'ticker' act up!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the kind words Ted. Any idea what amount people are adding ?
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Tiz, I was trying to tease you :P

Folks looking to add salt for the 'feel' usually start at ~ 1500 ppm and adjust up from there to find their 'comfort level' 8)

Happy 4th!!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

There are two ways to approach it. Either pick up a bottle of salt test strips and adjust the salt level to around 2,000. Or add 40 lbs of salt, see how it is, and repeat till it feels better.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I am getting ready to order some things from Dave and if I needed salt test strip I was going to include them in the order but if I dont need them then I wont.
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I think I added 3 or 4 large bags last year, and I loved the way it felt. I never tested it, I just went by 'feel'.

Should additional salt be added year to year, or is it a once and done thing? I haven't given too much thought to the salt, as I am still just SO excited about my color change from black to clear water!!!
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi Tiz,

I have a 12,500 or so gal pool and add 120# of salt per season. I start with 80# and use the pool for a week, see how it feels, and I inevitably add another 40#. I've never tested the salt content. I'm sure I lose quite a bit during the season from splashout and refills but haven't ever added any more.

For sure the water feels silkier with the salt.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

9. Back To Top    #9

Do I just dump the salt into the pool and let it dissolve or how do I add it ?
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

10. Back To Top    #10

We've done it a couple of ways:

1. Slit the bag open, scoop it out with a quart sized cup, broadcast across the surface. When the bag is empty, swish the crystals around with the brush. You'll get what appears like white dust, don't let that worry you. It'll all dissolve within 10 or so minutes when stirred.

2. The fun method is to slit the bag lengthwise and dump it with the salt still in it on the pool bottom at the shallow end, then stomp on the crystals until they dissolve. It's an endothermic reaction, meaning the salt takes energy from the water to dissolve and that means the water in the immediate vicinity feels cold on your feet.

On a sunny day when the sun's rays are slated just right the salt crystals on the bottom will sparkle like diamonds. It's really very pretty.

I am so easily entertained
    — AnnaK —

Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

11. Back To Top    #11

LOL AnnaK !!
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Salt is in the pool so we shall see what happens with it ....
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

13. Back To Top    #13

And how do you and the family like it? How much did you add and does it feel different yet?

Happy Fourth!
    — AnnaK —

14. Back To Top    #14

We put it in last night and havent been in the water yet ..... will let you know later how the wife likes it ...

We started with 2 bags so far ...
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

15. Back To Top    #15

With your size pool you'll be adding another 40# for sure before you'll really feel the difference.

Argh! I have to mow lawns which will take some hours but then I plan to turn myself into a prune in the pool for the rest of the weekend.
    — AnnaK —

16. Back To Top    #16

Were supposed to do the lawn thing tomorrow IF its not raining here. 5+ acres we mow for an elderly lady every other week.
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

17. Back To Top    #17

YEOW! That's not mowing laws, that's cutting grass. It's very nice of you to do that.

We mow 2 acres, not too awful with a tractor, but add the sweeping and trimming and it becomes a real time sucker. To motivate ourselves we made a rule: work before play. Oh, wait . . . that rule was made by our parents and their parents before them

Still works though.
    — AnnaK —