18" sand Filter Whats minimum pump size

Jun 15, 2009
Hi guys,
I have an 18" sandfilter, can you tell me what the minimum size pump I will require and the Maximum size.
I currently have my eye on a 1\2hp 2 speed Argonaut 0.53Kw and 0.37Kw.
Will this be suitable for my 18" sand filter.

Cheers

That's probably just about right. Your filter should have a gpm rating. When you find that, you pump should not be capable of exceeding that gpm. About 20% less gpm from the pump than the filter is capable of is close to perfect.

Hi thanks for the reply, i belive the filter will sustain max flowrate of133 L/m I believe this equates to about 29 G/m, unfortunately I am unsure of the flow rate of the pump only the details posted earlier

If your filter numbers are correct (I'd verify them....it seems a little low), then that is probably not a big enough filter.

You can check with the manufacturere of that pump and they will have a "pump curve" for that pump that will give gpm based on the head loss of the pool. Most folks don't know there head loss (me neither) but I understand 50 is a good number for most pools. Anyway that curve will show how many gpm for that head loss.....probably around 45 gpm or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.