Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 18" sand Filter Whats minimum pump size

1. Back To Top    #1

18" sand Filter Whats minimum pump size

Hi guys,
    I have an 18" sandfilter, can you tell me what the minimum size pump I will require and the Maximum size.
    I currently have my eye on a 1\2hp 2 speed Argonaut 0.53Kw and 0.37Kw.
    Will this be suitable for my 18" sand filter.

Cheers
    Hailing From Sunny :-( Clacton in the UK, 12Ftx48" AG Bestway Steel framed pool (2,708 gal or 12321 Ltr), 18" Mega Side Mount Sand Filter 35 Gpm 1.5" PVC, looking for a Pump....., Nice clear pool currently :-)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: 18" sand Filter Whats minimum pump size

That's probably just about right. Your filter should have a gpm rating. When you find that, you pump should not be capable of exceeding that gpm. About 20% less gpm from the pump than the filter is capable of is close to perfect.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi thanks for the reply, i belive the filter will sustain max flowrate of133 L/m I believe this equates to about 29 G/m, unfortunately I am unsure of the flow rate of the pump only the details posted earlier
    Hailing From Sunny :-( Clacton in the UK, 12Ftx48" AG Bestway Steel framed pool (2,708 gal or 12321 Ltr), 18" Mega Side Mount Sand Filter 35 Gpm 1.5" PVC, looking for a Pump....., Nice clear pool currently :-)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If your filter numbers are correct (I'd verify them....it seems a little low), then that is probably not a big enough filter.

You can check with the manufacturere of that pump and they will have a "pump curve" for that pump that will give gpm based on the head loss of the pool. Most folks don't know there head loss (me neither) but I understand 50 is a good number for most pools. Anyway that curve will show how many gpm for that head loss.....probably around 45 gpm or so.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School