Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 18" sand Filter Whats minimum pump size

1. Back To Top    #1

18" sand Filter Whats minimum pump size

Hi guys,
    I have an 18" sandfilter, can you tell me what the minimum size pump I will require and the Maximum size.
    I currently have my eye on a 1\2hp 2 speed Argonaut 0.53Kw and 0.37Kw.
    Will this be suitable for my 18" sand filter.

Cheers
    Hailing From Sunny :-( Clacton in the UK, 12Ftx48" AG Bestway Steel framed pool (2,708 gal or 12321 Ltr), 18" Mega Side Mount Sand Filter 35 Gpm 1.5" PVC, looking for a Pump....., Nice clear pool currently :-)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: 18" sand Filter Whats minimum pump size

That's probably just about right. Your filter should have a gpm rating. When you find that, you pump should not be capable of exceeding that gpm. About 20% less gpm from the pump than the filter is capable of is close to perfect.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi thanks for the reply, i belive the filter will sustain max flowrate of133 L/m I believe this equates to about 29 G/m, unfortunately I am unsure of the flow rate of the pump only the details posted earlier
    Hailing From Sunny :-( Clacton in the UK, 12Ftx48" AG Bestway Steel framed pool (2,708 gal or 12321 Ltr), 18" Mega Side Mount Sand Filter 35 Gpm 1.5" PVC, looking for a Pump....., Nice clear pool currently :-)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If your filter numbers are correct (I'd verify them....it seems a little low), then that is probably not a big enough filter.

You can check with the manufacturere of that pump and they will have a "pump curve" for that pump that will give gpm based on the head loss of the pool. Most folks don't know there head loss (me neither) but I understand 50 is a good number for most pools. Anyway that curve will show how many gpm for that head loss.....probably around 45 gpm or so.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School