CC 0
ph 7.5
T/A 110
CH 350
CYA (never lost site of the black dot)
Temp 103
Salt level 3000
Salt Test Strip indicates 3600

I noticed some small black spots last week and cranked up the cell to 100%. FC level has not budged. Does this mean the black spots are Algea?

The pool looks great except for those very small black spots in a few places. I've tried scrubbing but they don't dimish in size or color.

plumin said:
Here are my numbers using the TF test kit:

FC 1.5
CC 0
ph 7.5
T/A 110
CH 350
CYA (never lost site of the black dot)
Temp 103
Salt level 3000
Salt Test Strip indicates 3600

I noticed some small black spots last week and cranked up the cell to 100%. FC level has not budged. i turned the water off so that we could take a shower and then turned it back on, left, and when we came back the water is a brown color.

The pool looks great except for those very small black spots in a few places. I've tried scrubbing but they don't dimish in size or color.

Almost surely, you need to shock the pool. Do not attempt to do it with the SWG. Do it with Clorox and understand that shocking is a process that may take a fewe days....it is not a one time dosage. Read more about how to shock your pool in Pool School.

Once you complete the shock process, your spots will be gone and your pool will be free of algae. You will also be able to turn down your SWG significantly.

Again, do not try to use the SWG to shock.....use Clorox.

At the same time, purchase and add enough CYA to your pool to get it to around 50-60ppm. That will help reduce your FC usage as well.

Please read Water Balance for SWG'sin Pool School - you need your CYA at 70-80 for your SWG to operate properly.

If the "spots" are black algae or another type of organic algae, holding a trichlor tablet on the spot will make them fade, confirming they are organic in nature. If they are Black Algae, you need to brush your pool while at shock level to destroy the tough outer shell.

Dave is right, do not try to shock your pool with your Cell, it shortens the life of the cell. Use liquid chlorine a.k.a. bleach.

plumin said:
Oops, although I have been running it constant since I've put the tablets.

My pool company use to do this all the time. Why shouldn't this be done?

Generally, because tablets are acidic and lower pH. This can be harmful to the skimmer parts causing them to become brittle and break easily, and it can wreak havoc on pump/filter/heater parts. Keep them in the chlorinator or in a floater, not the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.