Balancing Next Step Help

Jul 1, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
My first post so thanks in advance for any help here. This is my second year of being a pool owner, but nothing unusual happened during year 1 so i still consider myself a newie. As signature states below, 16,000 gal. Salt Pebble-Tec Pool. We have the auto pilot system with an SC-48 cell. Replaced the cell about 16 months ago due to low amps-cell warning and using Auto pilot tech support.

Recently readings from leslies shows the pool won't hold any FC levels. Had a service company come out and check the cell and ended up replacing the cell cord, it was hot and burn marks inside. Everything was good for about 3-4 weeks. Now back into check cell-low amps alarms. Green Algae all over the pool. Service company has now determined that the head unit needs to be replaced as the amps are 0.2A and the cell cord is hard again and showing signs of burning. I'm on a path to replace the head unit, but may take a few weeks.
I have added 'green away' about a week ago and some shock. Green is gone but milky, hazy water is still in place.

I have the TF-100 test kit on order, but here are my readings from leslie's today.
FC: 0
TC: 0
PH: 8.0
TA: 120
CYA: 120
Phosphates: 50
Salt: 2900

Questions: with the CYA being so high, should I try to shock or do I need to drain to get the CYA numbers down to 70-80 first? Per the pool calculator it is suggested to add 199oz of bleach and 19oz of acid to get the PH levels down, and replace 33% of the water. What is the proper order to follow? I'm guessing replace water first but want some advice.
thanks

ld,

Welcome to the forum.

First priority is to reduce your pH by adding muriatic acid. Take your pH down to the mid 7's and do not let it get back above 7.8

Next I would drain/refill to get CYA in order. But first, wait for the test kit and perform your own CYA test. A salt water pool should not have gotten that high with CYA so I think it's worth confirming that 120ppm before you start draining.

Then, you'll shock the pool but I see no reason to shock until you confirm exactly what your CYA level is.

Where do you live? The test kit arrives in 1-5 days depending on how close to Raleigh, NC you are. I think you should wait.

Dave,
thanks for the feedback. I'm in Scottsdale, AZ and recieved the email notification that the kit shipped so I'm probably 4-5 days out. I'll do the acid step next and can always do the water test at leslies again to check on the PH level. The CYA level did seem very high but I don't have a high confidence level that it's right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.