cloudy pool

keith

Jul 1, 2009
hello everybody i am a new pool owner and am having problems
i have a intex 18'+4' above ground pool and just had my water tested and found out i have mustard algae here are my numbers
temp 85
cya not tested- store said could not give accurate number due to algae
tc .5
fc .5
ta 180
green algae light
mustard algae yes
tds 600
total hardness 300
i would really like to use the bbb method to clear this up
i need help

thanks keith
18'x48" intex agp
1.5 hp pump w/paper filter
apx 6000 gals

Hi, and welcome!

Read Pool School. You will find all the info there that you need. If you still have questions, please post back in this thread!

You did not mention your pH... But what you mostly need now is bleach. Refer to this chart in pool school, and start shocking your pool. You can use Jason's calculator to help you figure out how much bleach you will need!

i would really like to use the bbb method to clear this up
Your post above does not support this statement. Chlorine will clear your pool.

If you can post numbers for CYA and Chlorine and pH, we can get you started. The presence of algae is irrelevant in testing for CYA.

Hi Keith.

IMHO, you are getting bad advise and totally being "pool stored".

First of all, Black Algae doesn't grow in above ground pools. Black Algae and Mustard Algae take hold when pools have been improperly maintained for long periods. This is an Intex pool - when was it filled? How have you been maintaining chlorine until now?

You don't need any kind of "algaecide" you need chlorine, and lots of it.

Chlorine kills algae. Algaecide is more of a preventative, and even then we only recommend a particular kind.

The products you are being told to use by the pool store could be doing more harm then good.

Also, the filters are disposable. In "Normal" conditions, they are only meant to last 1-2 weeks. If you are trying to clear your water, you will need to stock up and replace them daily, hosing them off but replacing them every 1-2 days.

You CAN test for CYA despite their claim of algae present. Pure hogwash.

What is the active ingredient in the 4 lbs of "shock"?

You need your own test kit, at the very least get the 6-way test kit from Wal-mart for around $20.

Please stop listening to the pool store, they are not helping you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.