quick shock? another question...

Re: quick shock?

Nope, he was "pool stored". :mrgreen:

Dichlor is a fast dissolving stabilized chlorine source. It does have CYA in it but if all you are wanting to do is raise your CYA, you simply need plain ol' CYA. Sometimes it is sold as "stabilizer" or "conditioner".

oops, lemme clarify. We have an itty bitty tiny pool, so I don't need a huge amount of cya. ONe of the threads about care for tiny pools said that a cheaper way of getting the small amount of CYA needed is to start it with dichlor and then switch over to bleach to maintain the chlorine levels. I just don't see "cya" in the ingredients here and am wondering if I'm missing something or if they sold him the wrong stuff, despite me having written out that I wanted CYA/stabilizer/conditioner.

Maybe I should have posted this query over in the agp section? mod, does this need to be moved?

You did get dichlor and dichlor does indeed contain CYA, along with chlorine and acid. Dichlor is a reasonable way to raise CYA levels in a very small pool, such as yours.

This is a perfectly reasonable place to post this question. It would have been fine to post it in above ground pools, or testing and adjusting, instead, but here is just fine.

No problem. Your post is fine where it is. :)

I thought that you were simply looking for CYA alone. Yes, you can chlorinate and add CYA simultaneously with dichlor. If that is what you were looking to do, then you do have the right product. Use care though as your CYA level can rise very quickly with dichlor. Use the pool calculator to confirm your dosages.

j'momma said:
I sent hubby to the pool store for cya which I thought from reading was part of the ingredients of dichlor and they sold him "quick shock" with ingredients of sodium dichloro-s-triasinetrione, dihydrate.

is this the right stuff?
Yes, it is the right stuff. Dichlor goes by a few different chemical names. It is commonly also called sodium dichloroisocyanurate and troclosene.
CYA (cyanuric acid) is also called s-triazinetrione and isocyanuric acid. There are other names but these are the most common.

So...as you can see "It's in there!" :wink:

I know it is confusing but no more so than someone named Margaret being called Marge or Peg or Peggy; or someone named Richard being called Rich or Richie or Richard.
(Or calling baking soda either bicarbonate of soda or sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydrogen carbonate...all just different names for the same thing!)

OH geez louise, I just read teh back of the pack. I'm afraid to touch the stuff.

It's a 1 lbs bag of what sounds like granular product. I'm starting from scratch (filling right now) . I need this stuff just to add the CYA and will use bleach to maintain the chlorine levels until my swg gets here.

according to the pool calc I am guessing my water to be about 25-2600 gallons, and thus would need the whole pack of shock to raise it to 50 (goal for a swg).

does this sound correct?

how do I put this stuff in? seriously, the warning labels have me a bit paranoid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
j'momma said:
OH geez louise, I just read teh back of the pack. I'm afraid to touch the stuff.

It's a 1 lbs bag of what sounds like granular product. I'm starting from scratch (filling right now) . I need this stuff just to add the CYA and will use bleach to maintain the chlorine levels until my swg gets here.

according to the pool calc I am guessing my water to be about 25-2600 gallons, and thus would need the whole pack of shock to raise it to 50 (goal for a swg).

does this sound correct?

how do I put this stuff in? seriously, the warning labels have me a bit paranoid.

Hi, I've read thru your posts, your new Intex is 15x 36 and according to the Intex website that's almost 3,300 gallons. You should update your signature to include your new equipment.

To use the Dichlor to raise your CYA to the recommended range to use your SWG, you want a level of around 70-80.

If you use 8 oz or 1/2 the bag of Dichlor for the next 8 days, you should have your CYA in range. Dissolve 8 oz at a time in a bucket of pool water and pour it into the return flow while the pump is running. If you see any undissolved on the floor of the pool brush it so it dissolves.

Keep an eye on PH while using this product, it may go lower.

Using this much Dichlor each day will raise your FC to 10 each time, so don't be surprised to see high FC levels for a few days. This is nothing to worry about. If you want the level lower for swimming, just add the Dichlor at night after everyone is out of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.