Can I add Acid and Chlorine at same time

NO...please NO...they do not mix well :shock: ...let your water circulate at least 30 minutes between additions of either

Also be very careful while adding MA...wear gloves and face away from the MA steam as it can do a number on your eyes and lungs...you'll know what I'm talking about if you get a whiff.

Yep, what dmanb2b said. I would even say allow one hour of circulation between additions.

Also, on this subject (sorta), store your MA away from your chlorine source.
Example: I store my MA under the deck behind a brick pillar. It gets heat but not direct sunlight. I store my bleach in the garage.

Butterfly said:
Yep, what dmanb2b said. I would even say allow one hour of circulation between additions.

Example: I store my MA under the deck behind a brick pillar. It gets heat but not direct sunlight. I store my bleach in the garage.

Now Joyce (Hi to you and Johnny by the way :wave: ), where on Earth did you hear about not keeping the chlorine and acid near each other :roll: :p

memarchi - welcome to TFP!!

The above advice is very good :goodjob: Whichever you decide to add first, let it circulate 1/2 - 1 hour before adding the other.

As dman said - always use proper precaution when dealing with acid! :hammer: :)

I certainly hope that you can get the water balanced quickly so that your weekend party will go off without a hitch :party:

waste said:
Butterfly said:

Now Joyce (Hi to you and Johnny by the way :wave: ), where on Earth did you hear about not keeping the chlorine and acid near each other :roll: :p

I learned this from waste ( hi Ted :wave:) a long time ago. MA and chlorine do NOT play well together and can do the ka-boom :shock:

Also, I had the misfortune of adding MA too soon after DH added chlorine and got a whiff of the really bad nasty had-to-run-from-chlorine gas. That is dangerous. Period.

Always use caution when adding chemicals.

That stuff is nasty!!!

I've been trying to get my TA down and every morning when I add the MA I'm in my yard with 1. sunglasses on (even though it's raining, 2. a tube winter scarf around my mouth and nose 3. garden gloves.

Hope none of my neighbours have seen me :shock:

Reactions: Hholly
Found this thread and was wondering about this. We just put in a new pool and I had been adding the MA first (mixing in a 5 gallon bucket for 30 seconds) then dumping into the pool and following that pretty closely up with the same process for my Chlorine. I recently had an FC of 3 and added enough to bring it up to 5 but when I checked in the morning my FC was only 3.5. It's not a true OCLT since I didn't measure the FC after an hour of adding my chemicals so I'm wondering if maybe the MA neutralized the CL?

Pool 7700g
Before Adding Chemicals 9:25PM
PH: 7.8
FC: 3
CC: 0.5
TA: 90
CYA: 60ish

My Targets
PH: 7.3 (I'm trying to lower TA to 80)
FC: 5
TA: 80

The PH dropped to 7.1 as of this morning and I began aerating to raise PH to 7.2. The FC was 3.5 surprisingly (CC < .5) when I expected it to be at least 4 (<1.0ppm drop). So either something is living in my water or the MA neutralized some of the chlorine? Water is clear.

MA won't neutralize FC, at least at an appreciable level from what you did. BTW, the bucket mixing of MA is generally not recommended as it just involves on more step for vapors to be released via mixing and affect you.

If you have concern I would redo OCLT tonight properly. Additionally, I wouldn't blink at a 0.5 ppm difference in FC from expected unless its immediately following an addition. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.