Northern Middle Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Thought I would start a new thread about my water, and forget about how I had screwed up in the past in another thread. :oops:
FC held last night :party:
Numbers this a.m.
FC 16
CC 0
TA 70
CH 210
CYA 40
I added 5lbs. of CYA last night. (the 100% stuff this time :) Should get me to 70.

So can I finally start letting my FC drop and then use my SWG? :whoot: I had seen in another thread (oletrout) to let it get to around 5 and then turn on the SWG.

When can I get an accurate pH reading?????
I think I now know the difference in clear water, and sparkling water :goodjob:

Re: I am there!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I now know the difference in clear water, and sparkling water
Yeah, it's a sense of accomplishment, huh? Nice work, ortho :lol: :lol: :lol:

I still remember the first time I really got it crystal clear......pretty cool.

Thanks Grace and Dave. I'm so excited :bounce:
I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later. You guys are the greatest :cheers:

Thanks to everyone :goodjob: I would have never gotten this far if it weren't for TFP :bowdown: I've never owned a pool before, but by doing my research on this forum, everyone I talk to thinks I've owned one for years. :wink: That includes the sales people. :lol:
I've still got a lot to learn, but it's a lot less now. 8)

Buggsw said:
Congratulations! One thing, before you turn on your SWG - I believe you need to add salt - I don't see a salt level listed.

Oh yeah, I forgot that little bit of info. :? Salt level is 3000 by strips and also my Pro Logic. Guess that is just about right, huh??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Just thought I'd check back in with numbers this morning to make sure I'm doing right :)

FC 9
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 70
CH 210
Salt 3000
Temp 81
Should I do anything, or just keep letting my FC drop to 5 and turn on SWG???
Man, this is way easier than keeping FC at shock level :lol: :whoot:

O.K., all the congrats were not deserved. :cry: I've been testing my salt levels with a dip stick test(AquaChem I think) and looking at what my Pro Logic was reading. They had been pretty much in agreement, around 3000. Well, it rained almost 2" Sat. night and Sunday and my Pro Logic dropped to 2800. Sounded reasonable???? Ran out of dip sticks(could be my nickname). Bought some real AquaChek test strips and quess what??? It appears I have a salt level of 4870 :shock:
Oh wait, there's more :roll: I bought some 100% CYA, and working with an existing CYA of 30, added 5lbs of the 100% stuff. Today is day 6 of the addition and my CYA is a whopping 32-34 :evil:
My SWG ideal salt levels are 2700-3400. So am I going to have to drain some water???
Numbers this evening:
FC 5
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 70
CH 200
CYA 32-33
Salt 4870
Temp 84
BTW. I hadn't turned on the SWG yet. Today could have been the day since my FC had dropped to 5. But the high salt level has nixed that :rant:

BTW I have added a total of 520lbs of salt. But I have also used a lot of chlorine to keep my pool at shock level. At times, more than I needed :oops: :hammer:
PC says I need to drain 34% of my water :cry: That makes me want to :puker: I just filled the dang thing :rant:

two things...on the salt strips they provide a reading vs salt level chart specific to each batch of strips...ie a reading of 5 with one batch may equal 2700, while a reading of 5 with another batch may be 3200. Make sure to compare your test result with the chart on the bottle from which the strip came from...not the olld bottle chart. I know I'm just speculating here, but I recall duraleigh (dave) mentioning this a while back.

Also, I know you may be above you ideal level, but is the SWG working or is it erroring with high salt? If it's working and the water taste is tollerable, I see no reason to dillute. I'm just not experienced enough to say whether the high salt level has any effect on your swg.

Take it easy for a moment and slow down. You said the ProLogic is happy with the salt level. Why replace water if the SWG is happy?

Likewise, there is some variation in CYA readings from test to test. You still need to add some CYA, but it might not be as much as the most recent test appears to indicate. I would add another 5 lbs and then see where you are.

dmanb2b said:
two things...on the salt strips they provide a reading vs salt level chart specific to each batch of strips...ie a reading of 5 with one batch may equal 2700, while a reading of 5 with another batch may be 3200. Make sure to compare your test result with the chart on the bottle from which the strip came from...not the olld bottle chart. I know I'm just speculating here, but I recall duraleigh (dave) mentioning this a while back.
This is the first time I've used these test strips.

Also, I know you may be above you ideal level, but is the SWG working or is it erroring with high salt? If it's working and the water taste is tollerable, I see no reason to dillute. I'm just not experienced enough to say whether the high salt level has any effect on your swg.
I've yet to turn it on. New pool. The salt reading on the Pro Logic is reading 2800 right now. Was up to 3000 before the rain we got.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.