Thread: CYA/FC chart for indoor pool

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA/FC chart for indoor pool

Is an indoor pool considered the same as an outdoor pool as far as the
    CYA/FC chart is concerned?
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA/FC chart for indoor pool

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but Yes. The relationship has nothing to do with sun or lack of sun.

However, with an indoor pool, you don't need NEARLY the levels of CYA as you would in an outdoor pool with full sun all day long! I don't remember the exact recommendation, I believe but it was around 20-30ppm.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

The Mermaid Queen has it right. The CYA/Chlorine relationship holds in any case. In an indoor pool we recommend CYA be between 20 and 30, and the more common practice is to have CYA at zero. When CYA is between 20 and 30, things behave much as you would expect given experience with an outdoor pool. But when CYA is at zero, things behave a little differently.

The main issue, is that when CYA is zero, a FC level of well below 0.5 is sufficient to kill algae, but gets used up way too quickly to maintain reliable sanitation. Therefore indoor pools, without any CYA, are actually routinely run above shock level, sometimes way above, so that the FC doesn't all get used up at the first sign of contamination. That leads to some additional complications, such as fading and wearing out bathing suits fairly quickly, that are never normally an issue in an outdoor pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both. Looks like CYA of 20-30 will do the job.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.