Hayward Tiger Shark Experience

Welcome to TFP!!

The company I work for has been selling Tiger Sharks for over 10 years. My best estimate is that 10% of them are returned within the 1 month return policy. On most pools, the unit works as expected, but on some pools, the unit doesn't seem to be able to figure out the size and shape of the pool :? I think most of the returned models are returned because the pool owner didn't follow the operating instructions :hammer: -- they all perform correctly in my boss' pool.

These are (or used to be) quality units -- why did I say "used to be" - because Hayward just acquired them and I can't tell you if they are still reliable ---yet :)

this is the first year of pool ownership for me, and the first thing I did was get a tigershark...best thing I have done yet. I love it. It works great in my pool (23000 gal rectangle), and I would highly recommend it.

I purchased the Tigershark last summer after we constructed our pool. Next to the SWG, it is one of the best items that I have purchased for the pool. I purchased the QC model since it was not much more than the standard version. It got hung up on the main drains the first three times that I used it, but after that it 'learned' its way around and is fantastic. Many times, I place the cleaner in the pool, close the automatic cover and let it run.

Make sure that you request, free of charge (if not included) the plate that attaches to the bottom of the unit to give it a little lift off the bottom.

Problem I've found is that it has trouble climbing the walls if there is any small kind of algae or loose plaster-sand around. I think the filter gets clogged v. quickly. Maybe the bottom plate attachment which slightly lifts it off the surface would help me . I'll buy one and see.

Love my TigerShark.

The dog chewed the floating cord when it was left unattended. Felt helpless without it cleaning for me.

I replaced the cord myself even though it's a "service technician" only part. Found the cord on the net delivered for $95. Only problem I ran into was once I pulled the old cord out of the connector housing I didn't pay attention to which wire went where. After unsuccessfully searching the web for the answer I called AquaVac and a very helpful tech told me right away. I figured I'd put it on here in case someone runs into the same issue.

The white wire goes beside the tab on the connector housing.

I'm sure this is of little interest to anyone but if you are replacing the cord it could be invaluable.

I have the Aquavac
AquaVac.jpg
which I got at the end of the season last year. The Manual that comes with it is pretty basic and all the online stuff is copies of the manual.

The problem that I had last year was that the machine would just clean the same spots over and over. I sent an Email to the manufacturer and I was told to manually move the cleaner to the dirty spot. Isn't the point of a robotic cleaner so I don't have to manually clean my pool?

Secondly, I can't get the filters out of the black filter cartridge holder. To clean I use the hose and hose it all out as best as I can, but if I could pull both filters out it would be much easier to clean (which is recommended by the manufacturer)

http://www.haywardcanada.com/products/m ... ual402.pdf

Anyone have some tips for me?

I’ve had the Tiger Shark QC for almost 4 years. Soon after I got it I had to put the flow restrictor washer in the top because it was climbing to far out the water on the walls. It cleans all the seating areas and all but the top step (it would have to come to far out of the water for that one). Keeps my pool clean and does a good job on the water line.
Maintenance on it has been minor. Replaced treads, roller covers and filters last year.
Easto
Try starting in different location and flip the handles around. Changing handle position makes it change the turning direction. The filters, place one hand on the little hump in the middle of the cartridge, and wiggle and pull straight up on the filter. I’ve found that fine grit can get in the channel the filters slide in and make them a little hard to pull up.

Response from Aquavac

Kevin,

Are you allowing the unit to do a full mapping of the pool? We find
that some consumers do not allow the unit to run its full cycle.
That could contribute to the unit missing spots. Here are a few
other suggestions. The filters could be dirty. They can be removed
and sprayed with a garden hose and left to dry. You could also try
several different starting spots in the pool and alternate the handle
position to find an area the machine may prefer to start from. Also
if an extension cord is being used, this could reduce the amount of
power you get to your unit.

You are not able to use a remote
with an AquaVac as an after market purchase, they can only be used
with the AquaVac Plus unit. The electronic boards in the units are
different.

The filter should come easily away from the bottom lid
and the filters slide out from the bottom. The black gasket on the
bottom lid should have a spongy texture.

Thank you.

--LG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just opened my brand new in ground pool for the first time and put the Aqua Shark to work. One thing I've noticed right off the bat is that it cannot climb the walls of my pool. I've only seen it do it once in the shallow end and that was it. I've seen it trying hard when in the deep end but it can't seem to get enough traction.

It's brand new so it cant be the brushes on the bottom and I've also cleaned the filters 3 times as there was a lot of sand on the bottom of the pool. I've also noticed it spends virtually all of it's time in the deep end.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

PJStyles

mikespoolfl said:
I’ve had the Tiger Shark QC for almost 4 years. Soon after I got it I had to put the flow restrictor washer in the top because it was climbing to far out the water on the walls. It cleans all the seating areas and all but the top step (it would have to come to far out of the water for that one). Keeps my pool clean and does a good job on the water line.
Maintenance on it has been minor. Replaced treads, roller covers and filters last year.
Easto
Try starting in different location and flip the handles around. Changing handle position makes it change the turning direction. The filters, place one hand on the little hump in the middle of the cartridge, and wiggle and pull straight up on the filter. I’ve found that fine grit can get in the channel the filters slide in and make them a little hard to pull up.

It was a 2 person job getting them out. I had to hold the entire section and have my wife knock the filters out. It took a lot of work actually.

I bought 2 new sets of filters and they went in pretty easy, so I hope they come out easy when it is time to clean them.

Anyone have any possible solution to this robotic cleaner not going up my pool walls? I don't know if it's the angle of my walls that's preventing it from going up. Also still noticing it spends an inordinate amount of time in the deepend.

Thanks

I'm having this very problem... Where do I find this flow restrictor? I don't recall it coming with the package/box I received. Would really like to solve this problem.

THanks

mikespoolfl said:
Soon after I got it I had to put the flow restrictor washer in the top because it was climbing to far out the water on the walls.

I called Aqua Vac after I read in there instructions that it was available if the unit climbed to far out the water on the walls. It looks like a stainless steel fender washer about half the size of the hole were the discharge port is on the top with screw. Its right under the plastic guard on top.

My pool installer sold me a Dirt Devil but when I got it, it was a Tiger Shark. He said they are all the same concept so I didn't question it. I still don't know which is better but I know my Tiger Shark is not without issue. It seems to have trouble calculating the size of the pool. I always let it run a full cycle which is generally 4 - 5 hours as opposed to 3 according to the instructions. The main issue I have is that it gets stuck on the 2 main drains in my pool. We have an L shaped pool and it seems to stay in the deep in most of the time. That's not a huge issue because most of the debris collects there anyway. It does mean that it gets stuck about every 20 - 30 minutes on the drains. I don't know if this is causing it to miscalculate the pool size or not. Sometimes, it will get stuck within a few seconds of releasing it from the drain. I have started turning off the main drains but that has helped little if any. I usually make about 8 trips per session to free the darn thing. It also gets hung on the shallow end light for some reason. It does a good job but it's very frustrating. Unless I can just sit by the pool for several hours reading or something like that - and who has time for that - I'm constantly monitoring it. We have a surveillance camera on the pool so I can watch it over the internet from my office as I work or from our TV but I still have to run out there and release it. I have no way of knowing how long it's been stuck unless I rewind the recordings. UGH! Any suggestions?

I've had a Hayward Tiger shark for almost four years and It's finally died on me. Now, don't get me wrong, I love this robot. It's always been able to climb the walls easily. As a matter of fact I had to order the washer you attach to the top to tone it down a bit. It was ready to climb out of the pool!

I cleaned the filters about two to three times a week. Really helps it move along with clean filters.

Now, I didn't alternate the handle as much as I should so eventually the cord got tangled and I left it in the pool for days at a time (which your not supposed to do) so I feel like I could have gotten a few more years of use out of it if I did a better job at that.

But all in all, the $800 I spent four years ago displaced me needing a vacuum system or pool guy to keep my pool super-clean. When my main pump went out in the pool for about a week until replaced the tiger shark alone kept the pool still in good condition.

I've had a great experience with this robot and would recommend it. That being said I'm exploring other options for a robot as well now that it's time to replace it.

Since my original posting, I have made significant progress in resolving my Tiger Shark issues. I called Hayward, and they sold me an attachment called a "high velocity inlet". This attachment snaps over rhe inlet slot on the bottom. This keeps the Tiger Shark from getting stuck as often on the main drains. It still gets stuck but it's able to free itself if I just leave it alone. It may take several minutes but it will eventually get free. I also still turn off the main drains but I don't think that helps much if any. Now, with the inlet, the Tiger Shark gets stuck on the break point of the pool bottom where it slopes from the flat shallow end to the deepend. This only happens when the handle is shifted to one of the sides. I need to mark the side the next time that it gets stuck on but it's one or the other and I don't know which at this point. Every other time, it gets stuck a lot. It still does a great job and saves me lots of vaccuming time. I only vacuum when I open now. I called Hayward with the new sticking point, and they said to just leave it alone and it will free itself eventually. It usually does so I don't worry about it much anymore. The high velocity inlet solved most of my problems to the point I'm pleased but not delighted with the Tiger Shark. Good luck! :)

I acquired one with my house/pool this year. Have run it a few times. There was no high velocity inlet attachment for the bottom. It has yet to climb a wall. It climbed up one of my steps once but has not since then.

I ordered the high velocity inlet and am going to try it.

Previous owners also stored it in a box during the winter with it's bottom down so the rubber tabs are flattened on one side of both rollers somewhat. Might be limiting traction. Store you Tigershark on its side! (EDIT: OR DON'T! See next post)

If you store it on its side you will distort the shaft seals because of the weight of the motor and it will quit running. Think of the weight of the motor hanging sideways on the shaft leading to the little prop on the top. It should be stored upright you can sit it on a piece of 2x4 so it does not sit on the rubber brushes. I’ve had mine for over 6 years and still running great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.