Hayward Tiger Shark Experience

If you store it on its side you will distort the shaft seals because of the weight of the motor and it will quit running. Think of the weight of the motor hanging sideways on the shaft leading to the little prop on the top. It should be stored upright you can sit it on a piece of 2x4 so it does not sit on the rubber brushes. I’ve had mine for over 6 years and still running great.

That sounds like an even better idea. I thought I had read in the manual to store it on its side. Thanks for the protip.

I know this is an old thread, but I thought that I would add my comments on the Tigershark cleaner. Got my in 2006 from my PB as part of the my pool package. It was before Haywood bought AquaVac. It the first and only cleaner I ever used, so I can't really compare, but I can't image that there could be a better cleaner out there. Mine climbs walls without problems but on occasions does get caught up behind the ladders in the deep end. I also used to have a problem with it hanging up on my main drains but I solved that with a coupe of universe main drain ramps. I would recommend that you get extra filter cartridge set and if you close your pool for the winter, a set of Spring Clean Up Filters will be most helpful.

I'm going on my ninth season with the TigherShark and never had any major problems with it. I did have to replace the impeller at the top once after it sucked through a stone. I generally throw it in the pool once a week and let it go for the complete long cycle. Bottom line is that i love it and would buy one again; assuming that the quality has been maintained by Haywood.

Last edited:
Anyone have any thoughts that might help my poor robot climb?

It's a vinyl liner with fairly close to square 90 degree corners in the shallow end with very little rounding. In the deep end, the walls are straight down until 4 feet then the go at about a 45 degree angle to the center, then a flat bottom in the center of the deep end. I've seen the robot in action on the deep end and even when going up the 45 degree angle walls it goes REALLY slow and doesn't make it to where the walls go vertical.

I've thought about replacing the drive belt treads, rotor brushes... not sure what I can do to get it climbing.

I've noticed that with mine, it will climb walls more frequently at the beginning of a cycle when the filters are very clean. I did a dishwasher soap soak overnight and the next day when I ran the unit, it climbed the walls for longer during the beginning of the cycle. Clean filters = better climbing. I may try new filters this summer at some point to see if it climbs more consistently with new.

I just bought one and tied it out today. It tries to climb out of the pool every time and it did not come with the restrictor plate. It also gets stuck on everything. The lights, the jets, the drain. Can anyone give any advice on how to keep it from getting stuck on everything?

Update on mine. Early in the season before I cleaned the filters by soaking in dishwasher soap overnight, it would not climb consistently. For most of this summer it has climbed very consistently. Now I have the opposite problem. It climbs too far out of the water about 50% of the time and sucks air, flops around then drops in the pool and keeps going. Either I have to wait for the filters to get partially clogged up again or I need to find the right restrictor plate for beneath the top venturi opening. inyopools.com doesn't carry them I believe I've found the right one on Amazon but haven't pulled the trigger on ordering yet...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.