Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool heat laars help

1. Back To Top    #1

pool heat laars help

Got a Laars lx 250 n-c heater its shot we live in ny only used maybe 2-3 months year about 7-8 yrs old any body have problems with this repair guy said leaks dangerous supposed to be a great heater want to replace it is it normal for them to fail after short use does company offer any warranty purchased house 1 1/2 years ago advice please
    16000 gallon inground diamond bright pool, Hayward cartridge filter, 1 skimmer, 1 drain, 4 returns, Jacuzzi Tracker suction-side pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool heat laars help

If it's 7-8 years old there is likely no longer any warranty.

What kind of leaks?

Can you list the specific info, if you have it? Model #, etc.?

Welcome to TFP!

(From one pool mom to another )
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

it says it is laars teledyne 250,000 btu natural gas LX250N-C leaks gas flame roll out bad inducer motor for that short of time used i would think it wouldn't be trashed in 7-8 years any info on these
    16000 gallon inground diamond bright pool, Hayward cartridge filter, 1 skimmer, 1 drain, 4 returns, Jacuzzi Tracker suction-side pool cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I would agree, it should last longer, my Laars is 8 years and going strong. IF the pool chemistry wasn't maintained properly, and if the heater wasn't winterized properly, it could be not salvagable.

Hopefully one of the equipment experts will offer advice shortly (this is their busy season, so you may have to be patient.)
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

The LX is pricey to fix. The problems probably started with the leaks due to bad water chemistry and then spread from there. If you have to replace the heat exchanger ($1200 + a few hours of open heart surgery), I'd consider replacing it with a newer, more efficient, less problematic heater.