Should I buy more BioGuard Smart Sticks?

jjdurrant

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
MN
Ok.. this is my second year on BBB.. well sort of. :)

I am also using BioGuard SmartSticks (a 30lb pail was given to me as a gift when we moved into our home). I am now out of the SmartSticks. I always kept two in each skimmers to get my CYA up. Well, it hasn't really worked because my CYA is only about 10-20 (liner was replaced last year).

So, my options are:

#1 Get another bucket of SmartSticks and continue what I am doing

#2 Save some money and go with sticks from Doheny's

#3 Only use Clorox and buy some CYA and introduce via the sock method

I am guessing most of you will recommend #3? :)
My only concern is I can't always check the FC everyday. Using the SmartSticks buys me some time.

Latest numbers:

FC: 2.5
CC: 0
TC: 2.5
pH: 7.4
TA: 120
CYA: 10

Thoughts?

I would say go what works for you. If your CYA was not outrageous after using the sticks, and you were able to keep a safe pool, then I would say keep doing what you are doing.

However, perhaps if you got your CYA up a tad higher, you would not NEED the back-up of the sticks, and you could dose with bleach instead? Many people test daily but only add bleach every other day...

Do you know when you will be away? Then you can add a puck in a floater (or the sticks, but they are more $) when you are going to be gone, and remove them and resume daily testing and bleach when you return.

Smart Sticks are technically supposed to stop dissolving when water isn't moving over them, specifically for use in skimmers, but your best options are still 3 then 2. I can't think of any Bioguard product I would recommend unless your main concern was putting the store owner's kids through a real nice college.

The Mermaid Queen said:
I would say go what works for you.
Have to agree with this. If trichlor is working and you are not overstabilizing and you pH is stable then go for it. One caution, even though Bioguard says they are safe for skimmer use I would be cautious. Remember, this is the SAME company that says CYA up to 200 ppm is NOT a problem! :roll: :wink:

Trichlor is NOT the enemy. Improper use of trichlor is! :goodjob:

My main concern is your very low CYA levels duing the heat of summer. No matter what the chlorine source you are using the low CYA could lead to problems.

Smart Sticks are technically supposed to stop dissolving when water isn't moving over them, specifically for use in skimmers,
Minor Hijack:

Evan, You are a wealth of information.....I didn't know that. They apparently function that way for JJ (only work when ther's flow) Do you (or anyone else) have a similar experience?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.