Skimmer weir and float valve questions

Jul 1, 2009
We are purchasing a home with an IG pool that is empty and needs minor repairs. It has a pcc2000 in floor cleaning system, mdx debris system, waterfall.
We are moving from a home with a pool which I have done all the maintenance and chems. Has basic pump, skimmer, suction cleaner equipment. Hayward.

New home pool has Pentair and paramount equipment. 2 whisperflow pumps for filter and cleaner, pinnacle for WF.

The skimmer weir is missing. I did find a float valve that should go in the skimmer. (not in the skimmer when I found it) My research determined that the skimmer float valve works only when the water level becomes too low. (below skimmer inlet). Old pool did not have/need.

Questions.
Is a weir always needed in a skimmer? Or, are there circumstances where it is removed?
Is there other uses for a skimmer float valve than preventing air suction in a low water situation? (Such as weir)

The new pool has an auto fill. I can't find a reason for the skimmer float valve being needed or a weir not being needed.

Thanks for any info!

I don't have a wier (long story). Too lazy to look for appropriate skimmer parts (but I'm on a mission this year). The skimmer just doesn't "skim" the bugs/crud as well as it should.

Can't advise on the float.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

DaveNJ said:
I have an auto fill and it does use a float valve. Its removed for winterizing.

Is your float valve in the auto fill or in the skimmer? There is a float valve in the skimmer to protect from low water. Switches flow from weir to main drain if water level gets below skimmer inlet.

My float valve is in the auto fill. You set the height of it to the desired level you want the water to be. My skimmers are not connected to my main drains. The one in the auto fill is a toilet bowl float.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.