Here We Go Again....Pool Build in Magnolia

Great build so far. You might want to have your PB change out the Blue handle valves with Jandy or pentair never lube valves. Our PB originally put in the Red handle valves and we had them changed out for Pentair never lube valves.

Just an update for those that care. Sorry I've slacked on this. Part of this thread was to allow me a journal of our progress which has mostly been a good experience for a pool build except for one major thorn.

I've wanted to share a picture of the equipment pad for those that like to reference these, like me, or for any insight into any problems anyone may see.

Equipment Pad

View attachment 69595

I think it is pretty clean.

- We had a chlorinator added, as mentioned previously, in case we find the salt too much for our stone although I don't think it will be a problem.
- A light was added that will be tied into the automation.
- All equipment except for the pump are attached through unions and the pool builder knows I want the same for the pump.
- One can't tell the slant on the pad from this pic too well. At first I was going to have the pool builder redo it (yep, I was probably pushing it) but I have decided I can live with it since I will be the only one knowing it and probably (hopefully) won't see it much.

Obviously, the plumbing and electrical have been run. I won't bore with those pictures as I doubt anything new is derived from this. I may post a pic of the wiring inside the Easy Touch just in case there is something to worry about.

Lots of work done. In fact, almost all of it. The water is flowing right now and should fill up the pool about 7pm tomorrow night before moving the hoses over to the spa.

I wanted to post some more pics for anyone that is interested in what different stone combinations or colors look like. I know that I learned a lot from looking through old builds. Heck, I still look through these threads for little tidbits here and there.

Decking
The biggest change is that the decking was poured. Simple pea gravel, but I wanted the pool to be as much of a focus as I could even with all of the other items in this project.

IMG_3725.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3756.jpg

We're happy with the look. As mentioned before, we wanted some type of division between the pool's decking and the upper patio decking. We were worried that the two types of concrete (stamped and pea gravel) wouldn't work well together, but I think it looks great. We were definitely ready to get rid of the brown water though.

Pebble Sheen Application
Almost from the beginning of this project, we seemed to be leaning to Blue Granite for our Pebble Sheen color. We just always seemed to enjoy that color when looking at other's builds. The night before we had to email the color selection to our PB a shift happened.

Well, that shift led to Blue Surf.

It boiled down to seeing most sun shelves and steps looking very grey. While this isn't bad, we wanted the pool to pop a little from the coping which is obviously grey. It came down to wanting the steps and shelves to be blue also. From the pictures we found in the forum, it seemed that Blue Surf fit the bill. All I had to do is get over the fact that "Blue Smurf" is more appropriate, and who really wants to be reminded of Smurfs when they see their pool.

IMG_3761.jpg

IMG_3766.jpg

Fill
Thankfully, I read enough pool builds to remind me to put a sock over the metal tip of the hose and to tie off a soda bottle to the end. The cleaners did a great job with the acid wash but did nothing but put a hose in the pool and turn the water on. I was out in the front yard doing some work and noticed that they were driving away. I tried to stop them but they just drove off. Oh well. I knew what to do at least- fortunately, I already had the water softener bypassed.

How I found the fill
IMG_3768.jpg

The TFP approved method
IMG_3772.jpg

IMG_3774.jpg

My water meter is showing about 10gals/min flowing with the 2 hoses. I figured I'm looking at 33 hours of filling so I should have a full pool tomorrow evening about 7-8pm. That makes me happy as I've seen enough threads where the pool is filling up and anxious owners are having to check the fill in the middle of the night.

I do have a few questions for those that have read this far-

1. What chemicals did you have on hand for when it was time to take over the care of your pool? How much of each?

I've been told that the PB takes care of the water from the time the equipment is turned on until pool school which, in my case, will probably be the end of next week. I want to have the bleach and other items on hand.

2. How long after equipment start up before jumping in the pool?

Me, I don't like cold water but I'm betting a 9 year old isn't going to wait very long. I know no heater and no robot for the first 30 days, but I doubt a little boy is going to stay out very long.

3. Anything I should pay close attention to with the startup of the equipment or just wait until pool school to see how to set up the pump and automation?

4. Any other advice for the first few days after the pool is turned over to the owner?

5. I found a thread with best places to buy bleach. Are there any similar threads for the CYA, muriatic acid, etc?

6. Any close ups of any areas of the pool that anyone desires?

Again, thanks. I was already sitting out by the "pool" today while it was filling and it already seemed relaxing!

You'll want muriatic acid and bleach. I have a 29k gallon pool and used about 4 gallons of acid during the first month. That is all I really needed for the first 30 days. Probably they will use a sequestrant too. Make sure you have your test kit ready the only readings I needed in the first few weeks was pH and chlorine. The green water will go away about 24 hours or less after adding the first gallon of muriatic.

I got Cyanuric acid on Amazon and Muriatic from the local pool store. I also got a 14lb bag of baking soda from Amazon. Bleach I just got it from Safeway (8.25%). I used a skimmer sock to put in the cyanuric then put it on the ledge of the skimmer until it all dissolved. I squeezed the bag a lot to help it along. It takes around a week for it to totally dissolve. But within a day the sock should be done.

I was told we could swim immediately but I would hold off for at least an hour after adding any acid.

my supply:
Muriatic Acid - 4 gallons (This is VERY caustic handle very carefully and do not allow around children)
Cyanuric Acid - 20 lbs (I did not add until 3-4 weeks after the pool opened) (Can be handled)
Baking Soda - 14 lbs
Bleach - 5 gallons (will need to get frequently depending on use)

TEST TEST TEST! And use the pool calculator to see what and how much to add!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZHWNVW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well this one is easy for me...............What PoolGate said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !!! (Thanks PoolGate :hug:)

Some PB have this written into their pool starting instructions:

-as soon as water is half way up the skimmer-Jump in!

BUT it is up to your PB as he holds the warranty card. I have seen some builds where the kids are playing in the water as it fills the bottom of the pool LOL

Lets talk about storing your muriatic acid. Do not store it by chlorine as they do not play well with others. It should not be by metal as the fumes can cause rust. Several people with kids use something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H4809RO/ref=asc_df_B01H4809RO5224994/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B01H4809RO&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167127663572&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5861015077240345609&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011580&hvtargid=pla-309597986058

I can't wait to see a pic of some little 9 yr old jumping into the pool!

Kim:kim:

Beautiful build!! Congratulations. Your family will love this so much. I have read about buying industrial strength bleach from Univar in Houston in 15 gallon jugs, you might check that out.

Jones, thanks for the info and compliment. May stop by on my next pass through the city.

You'll want muriatic acid and bleach. I have a 29k gallon pool and used about 4 gallons of acid during the first month. That is all I really needed for the first 30 days. Probably they will use a sequestrant too. Make sure you have your test kit ready the only readings I needed in the first few weeks was pH and chlorine. The green water will go away about 24 hours or less after adding the first gallon of muriatic.

I got Cyanuric acid on Amazon and Muriatic from the local pool store. I also got a 14lb bag of baking soda from Amazon. Bleach I just got it from Safeway (8.25%). I used a skimmer sock to put in the cyanuric then put it on the ledge of the skimmer until it all dissolved. I squeezed the bag a lot to help it along. It takes around a week for it to totally dissolve. But within a day the sock should be done.

I was told we could swim immediately but I would hold off for at least an hour after adding any acid.

my supply:
Muriatic Acid - 4 gallons (This is VERY caustic handle very carefully and do not allow around children)
Cyanuric Acid - 20 lbs (I did not add until 3-4 weeks after the pool opened) (Can be handled)
Baking Soda - 14 lbs
Bleach - 5 gallons (will need to get frequently depending on use)

TEST TEST TEST! And use the pool calculator to see what and how much to add!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZHWNVW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great info!

I've already experimented with the test kit and have told the little one he gets an early class on chemistry. It's funny how soon kids don't want a pool when they realize they get to do some of the maintenance!

I've noticed Home Depot and Lowe's carry the Cyanuric and Muriatic Acid. Are they pretty standard in concentration?

It'll be a good weekend to stock up with rain forecast through Monday.

- - - Updated - - -

Well this one is easy for me...............What PoolGate said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !!! (Thanks PoolGate :hug:)

Some PB have this written into their pool starting instructions:

-as soon as water is half way up the skimmer-Jump in!

BUT it is up to your PB as he holds the warranty card. I have seen some builds where the kids are playing in the water as it fills the bottom of the pool LOL

Lets talk about storing your muriatic acid. Do not store it by chlorine as they do not play well with others. It should not be by metal as the fumes can cause rust. Several people with kids use something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H4809R...t=&hvlocphy=9011580&hvtargid=pla-309597986058

I can't wait to see a pic of some little 9 yr old jumping into the pool!

Do you see a problem with storing the muriatic acid in this cabinet and then storing that cabinet in a shed with chlorine or is does this stuff just not play nice with others and gets its own corner of the patio?

I've noticed Home Depot and Lowe's carry the Cyanuric and Muriatic Acid. Are they pretty standard in concentration?

The Cyanuric Acid is standard. Do not fall for any marketing tricks like "For Salt Pools!" that cost more, same stuff.

The Muriatic acid comes in varying strengths. Look for full strength, 31.45% or 20 baume. Watch out for 'Green' labeled brands as they are at most half-strength.

I store the Muriatic acid in a 20 gallon trash can with a lid outside. You might have to manage that with kids around. But it is best to not store MA inside.

Take care.

I knew there would be green, but WOW! This was surprising. I think the socks are showing pretty dirty, too!

Thanks, PoolGate, for showing that it goes away quickly.

IMG_3778.jpg

This picture really throws the grey off in the coping. Doesn't even look grey in it.

I knew there would be green, but WOW! This was surprising. I think the socks are showing pretty dirty, too!

Thanks, PoolGate, for showing that it goes away quickly.

View attachment 70099

This picture really throws the grey off in the coping. Doesn't even look grey in it.

Ha ha! Yes it is like Magic! *POOF* no more green!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, that was enlightening.

I just did my first water testing from the pool sans chemicals as the PB's start up guy won't be here until tomorrow. I would have sworn that I was just being an idiot when I found these numbers-

FC 0.0 - Truly, no color
PH 8.2 - Yes, now I am feeling like a moron as I can't even do these simple tests correct as this was way off the scale and pink.
CYA None, zero, zilch
CH 125ppm. Yea! Finally a reading!
TA 330ppm. Again, a reading, although not much faith in my mixing skills.

Fortunately, I bought the reference bottles of water to check my "skills". I went back using the reference water and was able to match the reference numbers. Not such a moron after all, just have terrible water for a pool I guess.

I did read that the pH will shoot up pretty quickly because of the plaster curing. As for the other numbers, who knows. With no CYA, no FC can easily be accounted for.

I'll see what is added tomorrow and go from there. I just wanted to see what I am starting out with.

Well, that was enlightening.

I just did my first water testing from the pool sans chemicals as the PB's start up guy won't be here until tomorrow. I would have sworn that I was just being an idiot when I found these numbers-

FC 0.0 - Truly, no color
PH 8.2 - Yes, now I am feeling like a moron as I can't even do these simple tests correct as this was way off the scale and pink.
CYA None, zero, zilch
CH 125ppm. Yea! Finally a reading!
TA 330ppm. Again, a reading, although not much faith in my mixing skills.

Fortunately, I bought the reference bottles of water to check my "skills". I went back using the reference water and was able to match the reference numbers. Not such a moron after all, just have terrible water for a pool I guess.

I did read that the pH will shoot up pretty quickly because of the plaster curing. As for the other numbers, who knows. With no CYA, no FC can easily be accounted for.

I'll see what is added tomorrow and go from there. I just wanted to see what I am starting out with.

Your water is normal for new water. All those numbers are par for the course for a new pool. Your startup guy will add 1-2 gallons of muriatic to get the pH down. No CYA because none was ever added. If you use the pucks, which is what my startup company used, you will still get none because they have almost none in them.

That is VERY normal for house water testing. No worries with your skills! :hug:

-You need to print out your fill levels for future reference-that will help you remember that anytime you have to add water you will also have to lower PH

PH-it might be even higher than that. When you go to push it down it might be a "fight" due to the high level. Using Pool Math put 8.2 at NOW and 7.5 as goal. Add the amount of muriatic acid Pool Math says. Have the pump on high for about 15 mins and maybe even brush the pool to help mix it up. Test................if it is at 7.5=sweet, if not do all of the above again.

-CYA you can buy the powder CYA at Lowes or maybe Walmart if they have any left from the season. Put it in a sock (like you wear) and hand in front of a return. You can squeeze the sock to help it dissolve. I would shot for a CYA of 30 to start with and go from there. The pucks just take too long to get it up in opinion.

Dont be surprised if ur ph fights u for a reading. I remember suz was helping me with my startup and I kept saying it’s high suz it’s high and she said put more in you have to get it on the chart by late that first night I finally got it down below 8 to get true readings. But that first day was tough. Especially since I didn’t have an acid startup and my acid wash to bring out my quartz was very watered down to be gentle on the plaster.

Thanks for the encouragement all.

The PB's start up company came out today while the family was at a football game. I didn't get to find out what was added but I do see 3 pucks in one of the skimmer baskets. Whatever he did, I'm impressed because I was worried about getting the pH level down.

Today's readings taken about the same time of day and after the pool was brushed twice (about 2 hours after the second brushing). This is what I got-

FC 3.0
CC .5
PH 7.5
CYA 40
CH 75
TA 300

As for the CC, it was barely at .5 and I'm not positive that it was there.

The start up has the pump running continuously and will be back out on Monday. I do have some muriatic acid (2gals) on hand for when the pH creeps up before he visits again.

I have read that a robot cleaner shouldn't be used until 30 days after fill to help cure the finish first. The PB called and asked if I had bought one yet as he was told by the start up guy that one can be used now. When I brought up the 30 days, PB said he would talk to the Pebble Tech guys to see what they say. Anyone have official word on this.

Still a greenish tinge and a little more cloudy than before but at least I know we are heading in the right direction! Little one wants to jump in now but we told him to wait a couple of days just in case.

I found this:

Pool Surfaces Care Instructions - Pebble Tec

Two things I noticed:

-says to wait until pool is full before getting in! Soooooooooooo that means little man can get in NOW! CANNON BALL!

-it does NOT address cleaners with wheel. BUT I remember one pool where they put the robot in about 3 days after the plaster was done and it left "track" lines :( Better safe than sorry.

I think every pool should have a manual vacuum available for spot cleaning and such. It can also be used in the beginning to help clean up the plaster dust. You can use a head like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Robelle-Weighted-Vacuum-Head-for-Swimming-Pools/36265309

Great looking pool and those colors go really well together. I waited to be on the safe side for the robot. I did borrow a hose and manual vacuum head from the PB and used it on day 3. It really helped get rig of the plaster dust and after more brushing used it on day 4 as well. After that I just brushed and waited for the 30 days to end.

With fall being here you may need to manual vacuum more or get a leaf net to grab the falling leaves.

I bought a 30ft hose and triangle vac head off of amazon for the places my robot can’t go.

I found this:

Pool Surfaces Care Instructions - Pebble Tec

Two things I noticed:

-says to wait until pool is full before getting in! Soooooooooooo that means little man can get in NOW! CANNON BALL!

-it does NOT address cleaners with wheel. BUT I remember one pool where they put the robot in about 3 days after the plaster was done and it left "track" lines :( Better safe than sorry.

I think every pool should have a manual vacuum available for spot cleaning and such. It can also be used in the beginning to help clean up the plaster dust. You can use a head like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Robelle-Weighted-Vacuum-Head-for-Swimming-Pools/36265309

Kim,

Thanks. Great info.

We are Halloween decorating so I've got the boy's time filled up for today. Tomorrow will be warmer and sunny for us Houstonians! Are you still using yours?

I think I will wait unless Modern Method give us the OK and then I still have to wait for delivery.

Great looking pool and those colors go really well together. I waited to be on the safe side for the robot. I did borrow a hose and manual vacuum head from the PB and used it on day 3. It really helped get rig of the plaster dust and after more brushing used it on day 4 as well. After that I just brushed and waited for the 30 days to end.

With fall being here you may need to manual vacuum more or get a leaf net to grab the falling leaves.

I bought a 30ft hose and triangle vac head off of amazon for the places my robot can’t go.

The start up guy is going to vacuum tomorrow or Tuesday (4 days after fill). I may still ask the PB for a hose and vacuum though just to get it one more time late in the week. I'll look on Amazon as I am sure there will be plenty of times I'll need the vacuum anyways even with the robot.

Thanks, guys. Every bit helps even if its reinforcing.

Looks like the green is going away as promised. Still a tinge but the chlorine is kicking in.

IMG_3803.jpg

We are starting to see the blue that we had hoped for and the contrast with the grey. Happy people here with our selection.

New numbers for the day. Drew the water before brushing in the middle of the afternoon. I'll do it again tonight to see if there is a difference.

FC 9.5
CC 0
pH 7.8
CYA 65
CH 100
TA 300

Boy, that chlorine shot up. I guess that is good for a breaking the water in. At least the CC is 0 and may have been 0 yesterday. With the test, there was a slight tinge so I marked it as .5.

pH came up, but I guess that is expected with the TA so high. I read in the Pool School that a high TA can cause the pH to come up slightly. Still in range so I'm not worried.

CYA looks good to me.

I guess I'm worried a little about the CH and TA levels. Is this common for a new pool? Should I worry and try to fix it now?

Otherwise, the TFP test kit is great. Much easier to work with than I imagined.

I think I get a seal of approval from the animals of the house!

IMG_3799.jpg

TA is the last thing we work on as you keep everything else happy around it. The CH is a little low. Go to Pebble Tec to see what they want for the levels. there.

I can't remember if you tested and posted your fill water numbers. If not do so and keep a copy with your test kit for future reference.

The color is really starting to pop out now! SWEET! Love the combo of the plaster and decking!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.