Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water is so green you could film a horror movie in it!

1. Back To Top    #1

Water is so green you could film a horror movie in it!

We are having a new liner installed in less than 10 days. In the interim our pool water is turning darker green each day. I'm sure there is mosquito larve in there and who knows what else. It's scary to look at. Since we'll be emptying it completely my hubby doesn't think we should waste the money to toss any chems in there. Hopefully it'll siphon OK when the day comes to empty it .. should I be adding any chems for any reason that anyone can think of??

Thanks!
    Jeannie 8)
    Connecticut
    30' round AG / 20,000 gallons
    Cartridge filter
    BBB method user since '08 and have never looked back!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water is so green you could film a horror movie in it!

Something to kill the skeeters? They can hatch before 10 days.....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

That's what I'm most concerned about. My pool is a breeding ground for that right now. I'll have to go on the internet and do some research to see if there is anything I can purchase. Funny we call them skeeters too! And flip flops are called flippy floppies, and chicken nuggets are chicken nuggies .. the list goes on. We have our own language .. can you tell I have kids?
    Connecticut
    Cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie in CT
    I'll have to go on the internet and do some research to see if there is anything I can purchase.
    Bleach!!
    8)

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

5. Back To Top    #5

Just bleach? Wow, that was easy. Just one prob ... our water level is only at 2 feet and our filter isn't hooked up. Should I just mix it as best I can with our metal pool skimmer and hope for the best?

Thank you!
    Jeannie
    Connecticut
    Cartridge filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, that sounds good, you'll probably need a few jugs - you don't have to worry about good circulation since the liner's getting chucked anyway.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Mosquito Dunks ought to be fine, they are OK to use in pet water and only hurt mosquitos. They do tend to crumble and so you may prefer the liquid sort, I have no idea how much it would take to do a pool and that might be the issue.

"Biological Mosquito control." Use in fish habitats, bird baths, animal watering troughs, roo gutters, unused swimming pools....Hazard to humans, causes moderate eye irtitation... Use 1 dunk per 100 q ft of surface area, use broken dunks for smaller areas. Works for 30 days.

About $16 per pack of 6 at Home Depot or Lowes or similar garden center.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.