CYA AMOUNT IN A 3 INCH TAB ?

May 5, 2008
Louisville,KY
Ok, I know that it was on here somewhere. I am trying to figure out how much CYA a 3" tab will add to a pool. Had to add a large amount of water to the pool due to a leak issue. I have some tabs lying around here and I am looking to use these to raise CYA and I am getting ready to go on vacation. I thought maybe I would kill two birds with one stone. There was a topic on here that showed how much chlorine and CYA each tab added. Any help would be much appreciated. :cheers:

I would recommend just using stabilizer to regain your cya level. The amount of stabilizer in each tab isn't much when compared to how acidic the tab is and the chlorine you will be adding to the water.

You can use the effects of adding chemicals section of the pool calculator. One 3" inch tablet is either 7 or 8 ounces. Do you have the labeling somewhere?

So just enter 7 or 8 ounces in that box, select trichlor, and it tells you how much CYA increase you will get. I'm guessing it won't be much for one tablet. It will also indicate the affect on your PH.

I found this reply by waterbear in another thread:

Depends on several factors. You have a sand filter so each time you backwash you are diluting the water. If you had a cartridge filter the CYA would rise faster since you would not be backwashing.
Bottom line is this. For every 10 ppm FC added by trichlor then you have also added 6 ppm CYA. The chlorine gets consumed but the CYA stays behind so, sooner or later, you WILL have an overstabilized pool! (FC is normally consumed at a rate of 1-2 ppm per day in must pools but it can be as high as 3-4 ppm during the heat of summer and a lot of usage so it's entirely possible for a pool to go from no CYA to too much CYA in one short swim season!)

So, it would seem that 60% of the FC ppm added will be CYA.
Heck, I have some tabs on hand that the label says each tab provides 6 ppm of FC. That would be 3.6 ppm of CYA

There is no standard size for trichlor tabs. They range in size from the small 1" to the more common 3" (which are usually 6-8 oz, depending on brand), and sticks, which can be even larger. Also, there are differences in purity ranging from 99% to about 92% (for the 'multi action' tabs that contain copper and/or clarifiers). This makes it hard to say how much CYA is added per tab.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.