First, I love your website - so glad I found it! OMG - I've read pool school and a ton of posts. I feel like I'm back in H.S. chemistry class. Sorry, this email is so long, but after reading your website I need some specific help now.
So, on to the problems . . .
We've lived here for 5 years. The house is old and so is the pool, but we had the floor replastered and had a pool cover installed 2 years ago. We were losing a lot of water to evaporation prior to that. Until this year we have never had a problem. But we were using only the paper strips to test our chemicals. All of a sudden chlorine was not showing up (probably b/c we were using trichlor tabs). So we purchased a chemical test kit from a local pool store. We were only shocking the pool when we saw the chlorine levels dip.
Results from the pool store b/c our test does not test for CYA:
FC = 1.0
pH = 7.2 (only after we added 76 oz Borox at the advice of the "pool calculator" prior to that it was 6.8 or less- after reading all the posts and pool school we decided to try and bring up the pH first b/c we weren't having any luck with FC)
TA = 170
CYA = 100 (because my husband added stabilizer without doing any research and he thought it would help with stabilizing the FC)
TDS = 1000
1. Since our pool is indoors - will the CYA level ever go down?
2. The "pool calculator" said we needed to empty out 60% of our pool to get the CYA to go down . . . is that the only way to get it to go down? Our pool is old and we have to empty it with a sumpump and a very long hose down to the street.
3. Is it bad to have high CYA levels? Can we just leave it at 100? B/c I really do not want to have to empty 60% of our pool.
4. High TA levels - the local pool store said I needed to add muriatic acid to decrease our TA. But "pool school" says muriatic acid is used to lower the pH. I'm confused.
5. We don't have a waterfall or spa jets and we dont' use the pool all that often - can you give us a recommendation on what we can use to aerate the pool? How much aeration do we need in order to actually effect the TA level? 24 hours?
6. If we switch from trichlor tabs to bleach how often should I expect to be adding bleach? The pool store said every week. True?
7. Which problem do I tackle first? TA? CYA? pH? FC?
Thank you and any advice is much appreciated. Also, if I make any mistakes on these posts I apologize ahead of time - I've never posted anything before to any website.