Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: algae bloom and adding borates

1. Back To Top    #1

algae bloom and adding borates

Im in need of advice. Have had an algae bloom that is now turning white/greyish thanks to gallons of bleach, brushing and backwashing. I know its not gone completely(the green on the bottom is gone but still cloudy) but I have all the supplies for adding my borates. Can I add borates tonight and still do the overnight FC loss test to see if the algae is gone, or should I wait?

14500g ag
    BBB method for a year

FC-15(all afternoon today)
    CC-.5
    TA 100
    Cya 40
    ph 7.6

Thanks
    Shannon

P.S. BBB is the only way to go! Opened to a beautiful pool this summer with no problems until now.(Pecan tree in neighbors yard is dumping into our pool)
    12x40x3 IG lap pool, vinyl liner. 26" sand filter, 1HP pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: algae bloom and adding borates

I would wait and just tackle one thing at a time. High FC levels can do a funny thing to PH readings (they read false high when the chlorine is above 10) so I wouldn't do any adjusting while trying to shock.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. I will check readings in the morning and go from there.
    Anyone know when its safe to swim after adding borates?
    12x40x3 IG lap pool, vinyl liner. 26" sand filter, 1HP pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Give it several hours to mix in after adding borates and double check that the PH is between 7.2 and 7.8 before swimming.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School