Can't get the stuff vacuumed up...seems too fine

Jun 11, 2009
Hello,
I hope you all can help me. I am not very pool savvy although I have had mine for a few years now. I run into this problem every year, and the only way to fix it is to drain and start over.

Once it gets really hot, like it is now in South Mississippi, I will get add my weekly algecide, and then the water will cloud up. Okay, so I figure that means there was algae present that I couldn't see, right? So, then I will add some Sink and Sweep to it to get the sediment to drop to the bottom of the pool so I can vacuum it up.
The next day, I attempt to vacuum (using either a hose attachment vacuum or one that attaches to the filter) and the stuff sends up a cloud into the water that runs right though the vacuum and back into the pool again.

How can I get this "stuff" to stick together enough to be vacuumed out of the pool?

Ok, so I read through it. The first thing I need to do is to get a better test kit. I have been using a 2 way kit from Walmart. Once I do that, I think I can get a handle on the cause.

But for the present situation, how do I get out the sediment that is currently in the pool?

Bama Rambler said:
Once followed Reebok's advice.

Go to Pool School and read it thoroughly again. :)

What type vacuum do you have?

As a very last resort you can add floccullant and it may drop it out and let you vacuum it.

I did add a floccullant...Sink and Sweep...and the stuff was on the bottom. I used the hose vacuum (the kind that connects to your water hose) and the stuff is so fine that it ran right through the mesh. In the past, I have used the vacuum that came with the pool that connects to the filter and the same thing happened. The stuff came back out through the return.

My only suggestion is to figure out how to get a finer mesh sock on the vacuum or to figure out how to "waste" the water and bypass the return. Hopefully some one will come along with actual experience. I have the same problem but since I have a sand filter I just vacuum to waste.

I see you have an Intex pool. If it were me, I'd just plug the return port on the pool and disconnect the hose from it that comes from the filter, this is basically the equivalent of vacuuming to waste. You will lose some water this way, but the stuff will be done.

Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.