Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get the stuff vacuumed up...seems too fine

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get the stuff vacuumed up...seems too fine

Hello,
    I hope you all can help me. I am not very pool savvy although I have had mine for a few years now. I run into this problem every year, and the only way to fix it is to drain and start over.

Once it gets really hot, like it is now in South Mississippi, I will get add my weekly algecide, and then the water will cloud up. Okay, so I figure that means there was algae present that I couldn't see, right? So, then I will add some Sink and Sweep to it to get the sediment to drop to the bottom of the pool so I can vacuum it up.
    The next day, I attempt to vacuum (using either a hose attachment vacuum or one that attaches to the filter) and the stuff sends up a cloud into the water that runs right though the vacuum and back into the pool again.

How can I get this "stuff" to stick together enough to be vacuumed out of the pool?
    18' X48"Intex Quick Set pool
    Upgraded pump-4000gph

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't get the stuff vacuumed up...seems too fine

you should read through pool school. that stuff should never happen if you have a properly sanitized pool. pool school link in top right of every page.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Once followed Reebok's advice.

Go to Pool School and read it thoroughly again.

What type vacuum do you have?

As a very last resort you can add floccullant and it may drop it out and let you vacuum it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, so I read through it. The first thing I need to do is to get a better test kit. I have been using a 2 way kit from Walmart. Once I do that, I think I can get a handle on the cause.

But for the present situation, how do I get out the sediment that is currently in the pool?
    Upgraded pump-4000gph

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Once followed Reebok's advice.

Go to Pool School and read it thoroughly again.

What type vacuum do you have?

As a very last resort you can add floccullant and it may drop it out and let you vacuum it.
    I did add a floccullant...Sink and Sweep...and the stuff was on the bottom. I used the hose vacuum (the kind that connects to your water hose) and the stuff is so fine that it ran right through the mesh. In the past, I have used the vacuum that came with the pool that connects to the filter and the same thing happened. The stuff came back out through the return.
    Upgraded pump-4000gph

6. Back To Top    #6

My only suggestion is to figure out how to get a finer mesh sock on the vacuum or to figure out how to "waste" the water and bypass the return. Hopefully some one will come along with actual experience. I have the same problem but since I have a sand filter I just vacuum to waste.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I use skimmer socks, it stops all that fine grit from coming back through the return.
    Mona SE MN
    24' round 48" high AG
    Meteor Sand Filter
    1.5 HP pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I see you have an Intex pool. If it were me, I'd just plug the return port on the pool and disconnect the hose from it that comes from the filter, this is basically the equivalent of vacuuming to waste. You will lose some water this way, but the stuff will be done.

Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)