Help.....want to switch from Sustain pool chemicals

Jul 1, 2009
Help.,
We just got a pool this year., 24 by 54 round., I started with the sustain products., I thought it would be easy and accurate., my problem is , It does not hold the chlorine., when I do the weekly sustain shock it is off the wall and then within a few days it is very low or nothing., they told me at the pool place to add the sustain shock a couple tablets every couple of days., I use the big pucks in the container they give you., I just feel this is so expensive and not working properly., my alkalinity and ph are perfect., How can I switch back to just the good old chlorine????

Have you used the Sustain Summer Shield Chlorine Extender or other CYA (stabilizer) in your water? Sustain is a calcium hypochlorite system and without adding addtional stabilizer the chlorine will not stay in the pool.

Hi,
Yes I used sustain summer shield., when starting., My cyanuric acid is a little low., that is the stabilizer., I will go to the pool place tomorrow and get some., and ask them.
I would really like to switch back to just chlorine any suggestions how?

Hey, whirlwind,
Welcome to the forum. Switching is quite simple chemically. BBB is not about any secret chemistry but rather about accurate testing and understanding what to do with your test results.

Your "switch" is simply going to involve using a different source of chlorine and making some adjustments to your pool water.

However, to get that started, you need to tell us where your pool chemistry is right now.

Post test results for FC, CC, CYA, pH, and CH ( abbreviations in pool school). You may have to go to a pool store to get that done or purchase your own kit but post those up and you will find a lot of nice people here to help. :lol:

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

You'll be fine switching to bleach - just get a good test kit, either the TF100 or the Taylor K-2006. Once you get the CYA in the pool and start using bleach you'll be in good shape.

Let us know if you have any q's.... :goodjob:

just stumbled on to your message. if it's not too late.after my first year of the same problem.... i took the containers that the pucks go in and drilled a series of holes(1/4") around it from top to bottom and back up again spinning the cannister an inch or so each time i drilled another hole. about 8 or nine all together. i then used 2 pucks in each cannister. i have around 30k gallons so it calls for 1 puck for every 10k so i have two cannisters, 1 in each skimmer. by putting the 2 pucks in each and having the holes delivering the chemicals evenly it works perfect. i also put the lid on but remove the plastic thing that comes in the lid. they last about 6 days or so, then i shock when the cannisters are empty, wait a day then put 4 pucks back in do the same throughout the year. since then i had a perfect balance of between 1-3 ppm. also fyi. make sure you keep plenty of "ph down" on hand. sustain pools tend to run higher in ph. i check it and adjust often and i have clear wonderful pool water all season

mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.