Please help me get started

Jul 1, 2009
upstate NY
We just filled our 5300 gal easy set pool. We had a pool company fill it since our well pump can't handled that much work.

The water is already VERY chlorinated as I have a pounding headache everytime I go near it :hammer:

I have some HTH from Walmart that I can toss in there until I get to the store.

I plan on getting a test kit, some CYA, bleach, baking soda & borax.

What quantity of the above things do I need to purchase? Our pool season is short and will only last until Labor Day.

Thanks Pool Gurus :-D

Get the following:

1.) Test kit. Either a Taylor K-2006 or a TF-100 (link in my sig). TF-100 is the best deal.

2.) Bleach or chlorine source of choice. Bleach is the easiest to deal with and causes the least amount of problems in the long run.

3.) CYA. Sold as stabilizer or conditioner.

You can get a little 4 way test kit from a store that sells pool supplies while you are wating on the big kit. That way, you can check for the presence of chlorine and pH levels while strating up.

4.) Read Pool School.

swimmin in ny said:
We just filled our 5300 gal easy set pool. We had a pool company fill it since our well pump can't handled that much work.

The water is already VERY chlorinated as I have a pounding headache everytime I go near it :hammer:

I have some HTH from Walmart that I can toss in there until I get to the store.

I plan on getting a test kit, some CYA, bleach, baking soda & borax.

Hi Tiffany, welcome.

What is "HTH from Wal-mart" - is that a pool chemical product? What is on the label?

I think you should start with the HTH 6-way test kit from Walmart (around $20).

Then test the pool water - PH and TA and the Chlorine level. Does the Pool Company add anything to the water besides chlorine? Are you sure it doesn't already contain stabilizer/CYA? You should call them and confirm.

If you post the PH and TA results we can get you started if those levels need adjusting. I wouldn't buy Borax and Baking Soda yet, your levels could be too high and then you won't even need either Borax or Baking Soda, you might need dry acid or "PH Down".

The 6-way kit tests for CYA, but don't test it if you don't have any in your water (confirm this with the water supplier). If it doesn't have CYA you will need CYA-"stabilizer" or Cyanuric Acid to protect your chlorine from sunlight destruction.

If it's not in the water already, you can buy it seperately, but you don't need that much, you only need a little over 1 lb to get your CYA to 30. If you can find it in small 1 to 2 lb containers at the Pool store, then go that route... Make sure it's at least 95% CYA on the active ingredients. Otherwise Wal-mart sells it in a big 4 lb jug. You can always keep it for future use if stored properly. After you add the CYA seperately, you will add bleach each night to keep your FC at the recommended levels for a CYA of 30.

OR...

You can use Dichlor powder shock product, and put in 6 oz (3/4 cup) each night for the next 7 days. (You can find Dichlor in 1 lb bags, and 2 lb cannisters at pool stores and Lowes, Home Depot that have pool departments. Look for "sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione" on the label. You will need slightly over 2 pounds total.) Dissolve the Dichlor in a bucket of pool water and pour into the return flow, brush the pool if anything settles on the bottom.

After the 7 days you will start using bleach for your chlorine source, and stop using the Dichlor. You don't want to add any more than 6 ounces a day for 7 days.

You can go ahead and get the upgraded test kit like the TF100 or the K-2006, but your pool is small and can be drained easily if you develop a problem, I'm not sure you need the big kit.

Lastly, Read Pool School, and then post any questions you have here. We'll be glad to help.

You shouldn't be smelling bleach unless it is killing organics or something growing in your pool.

I have an above ground 24 ft and have to add about 3 quarts nightly due to sun burn-off the next day. I NEVER smell chlorine, and it will take you a loss less bleach than I have to use.

FrustratedPoolMom and the others give great advice, so just read up on pool school several times and listen to the fine people here and things will go smoothly :-D

Thanks Everyone!

I am very sensitive to chlorine. I don't even allow bleach in the house. The water came from the pool company whom picked it up from a neighboring town's water supply, it only contains chlorine, no stabilizer. It gave me the headache prior to my adding anything. I did end up adding ½ tab of the HTH which contains chlorine & a stabilizer as per the instructions (1 full tab for 10,000) as I didn't want to wait.

I will pick up the test kit, dichlor, etc sometimes in the next few days and instruct Hubby on how to use the bleach :wink: As I am not getting near that evil stuff :twisted: I will sit back and :cheers: watching him from afar. The things we do for our kids! :p

Thanks Again!

I did read some of the pool school, but with school out I don't get much peace to read :blah:

swimmin in ny said:
Thanks Everyone!

I am very sensitive to chlorine. I don't even allow bleach in the house. The water came from the pool company whom picked it up from a neighboring town's water supply, it only contains chlorine, no stabilizer. It gave me the headache prior to my adding anything. I did end up adding ½ tab of the HTH which contains chlorine & a stabilizer as per the instructions (1 full tab for 10,000) as I didn't want to wait.

I will pick up the test kit, dichlor, etc sometimes in the next few days and instruct Hubby on how to use the bleach :wink: As I am not getting near that evil stuff :twisted: I will sit back and :cheers: watching him from afar. The things we do for our kids! :p

Thanks Again!

I did read some of the pool school, but with school out I don't get much peace to read :blah:

You need to keep adding chlorine to the pool. It will be gone by the end of the day from uv destruction, because there is no CYA in the water. If you wait a few days to begin treating it, it will turn cloudy and/or green before then.

Thanks! I am still adding the stabilizing chlorine tabs I already had on-hand. The water is still crystal clear (crosses fingers, knocks on wood).

Thanks for all the help! :-D

frustratedpoolmom said:
You need to keep adding chlorine to the pool. It will be gone by the end of the day from uv destruction, because there is no CYA in the water. If you wait a few days to begin treating it, it will turn cloudy and/or green before then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.