Looking for a SWG

May 27, 2008
Still in my 1st year of pool ownership, I am tired of lugging bleach to the pool. Now that I have the hang of this, I am ready to upgrade to a SWG. After reading many posts on TFP, I thought the Intex SWG would do the job. But it looks like that idea has hit a few snags.

1) It is probably too small for my pool (25,000 gal),
2) The manufacturer does not "recommend" it for pools with a sand filter.

So what would work? I have the cash to install a $1000 system, but is that really necessary? I did a lot of research on this, but I don't know that I am any closer to a solution. Therefore, I submit to your superior experience and knowledge.

Thank you in advance.

The only reason they would not recommend it with a sand filter is because of the routine water replacement you get with backwashing - it causes you to have to adjust your levels more often than you would with a cart filter. As long as you keep your levels in range for an SWG having a sand filter shouldn't be an issue.

I don't know what recommendation to make on the unit itself so someone else can tackle that question.

So how do I go about deciding which in-ground system to get? Which brand names should I avoid? And, as long as I am going Cadillac, what features are worthy in such a system?

Thanks so much.

Greg

I have an Autopilot and quite satisfied with it. Can't comment on the other systems. I do like the manifold setup. When I run my pump on high the check valve opens, which optimizes the flow thru the cell. Appears you have a large single speed pump is why I mention it. The digital display is handy for setup and testing the system. My Autopilot is setup to control my pump run times.

I had the Goldline Swimpure Plus installed a little over a month ago... at $800.00 plus salf and install fee, it was kinda pricy, but it's working great. No problems with my sand filter.

whatever you choose with large single speed pump you would want to get the biggest SWG model you can afford, so you can reduce pump run time to a minimum required for adequate filtering

if your pump run time is driven by SWG, expect high electricity bills

I have an older 18x36 inground vinyl pool (1981) with a single speed Hayward 1HP superpump and a Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter. No remotes, nothing fancy. I do need to reinstall a new timer for the pump - basic 2 manual-settingsper 24 hrs deal. In my case does brand matter for selecting a SWG? I am pretty handy and was wondering if installing it myself would be a big deal?

nesjunk, I'm guessing you could get away with the intex swg if you are willing to run your pump 10-12 hrs. I run my pump 8hrs a day and the intex swg is on the 4hr setting. Using the suggested water balance levels here at TFP, my FC has been pretty stable between 6-7ppm and rarely do I ever have any CC, usually only after leaves attack my pool during a wind storm.

So my thinking is since my pool is about half the volume of your you would need to double the run time...the intex swg can be set to run up to 12 hrs. You can look at some of my recent posts as I just found the intex on ebay for $145 shipped, and I actually just ordered another for when my cell on the current intex fails. We've used the intex all summer and I must say for the money it really is hard to beat, and best of all, no jugs to lug around. :goodjob:

Also no worries about the sand filter...that's what I have, just make sure to adjust your salt if you've been doing a lot of backwashing.

KirstenHW said:
I have an older 18x36 inground vinyl pool (1981) with a single speed Hayward 1HP superpump and a Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter. No remotes, nothing fancy. I do need to reinstall a new timer for the pump - basic 2 manual-settingsper 24 hrs deal. In my case does brand matter for selecting a SWG? I am pretty handy and was wondering if installing it myself would be a big deal?

Welcome neighbor :goodjob: Nice to see someone else from my area on TFP :whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not an expert, it appears with that big of a pool your close the limit of a single cell SWCG systems. Autopilot SC-60 cell is rated for 50k gal. pools. Someone with more knowledge will weigh in. Might want to check out a dual cell system.

Vistal said:
Sorry didnt want to start another thread . I got a 48k gallon pool its 30x40 10 foot deep end. im looking to get a SWG for it.Can somone suggest one around 12-1500$?
The SWG for my little 14K gallon IG pool is "rated" for output up to 40K gallons (Goldline Aqua Logic 15) and, if I recall the pricing, they don't give them away; nevertheless you can serially connect them to provide addtional output. If I had a 48K gallon pool I would do just that. Might be able to get two SWGs for a better price (than just 1) through a supplier.

DaveNJ said:
Not an expert, it appears with that big of a pool your close the limit of a single cell SWCG systems. Autopilot SC-60 cell is rated for 50k gal. pools. Someone with more knowledge will weigh in. Might want to check out a dual cell system.
not even close

single cell systems finish at around 265k gallons ;)
and then dedicated commercial systems with multiple cells are no different from single cell systems, you still have 1 power supply, 1 inlet and 1 outlet

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.