New Construction: Cathedral City CA

Give me 15 mins, I’m going to measure my spa and get you some measurements. I did split level seating since I’m 6’4 and my wife is 5’8 and we have shorter family members. I can tell you it’s the best decision we made as it works for everyone.
You won’t be able to rest your arms on the pool coping unless your bench is close to the water line and to be honest you wouldn’t want that cause your body would never be submerged but you can rest your neck on the pool coping

Give me 15 mins, I’m going to measure my spa and get you some measurements. I did split level seating since I’m 6’4 and my wife is 5’8 and we have shorter family members. I can tell you it’s the best decision we made as it works for everyone.
You won’t be able to rest your arms on the pool coping unless your bench is close to the water line and to be honest you wouldn’t want that cause your body would never be submerged but you can rest your neck on the pool coping

There he is :super:

Okay with you being at the rebar part you have a "job". Take your plans outside with you and measure everything. Add about 6" or so for the gunite and plaster. It is long, wide, deep, etc enough? NOW is the time to tweak or change as needed.

Kim:kim:

So the shorter part of the bench is 21inches from top of the coping to the bench and about 17-18inches from bench to water line and the deeper bench is 24 inches and 21 inches from bench to waterline.
It’s funny because those 3-4 inches make a huge difference and I never sit on the higher bench because I like being covered with water while in the spa. And just so you know they don’t have to do the rebar height differently they can just set your benches at the gunite stage. On page 22 of my thread you can see the spa and the different heights.
Hope this helps, if you need anything else don’t hesitate to ask

There he is :super:

Okay with you being at the rebar part you have a "job". Take your plans outside with you and measure everything. Add about 6" or so for the gunite and plaster. It is long, wide, deep, etc enough? NOW is the time to tweak or change as needed.

Kim:kim:

That already was on my mind - I can measure the rebar at the top level of the spa, but not sure about getting down to measure the height. We're in the desert and it's all very sandy soil. I'm concerned if get too close to the side that it will cave in a bit. I keep looking outside when they were doing the rebar hoping to see how they made their way in and out, but always missed the transition. - Y

- - - Updated - - -

So the shorter part of the bench is 21inches from top of the coping to the bench and about 17-18inches from bench to water line and the deeper bench is 24 inches and 21 inches from bench to waterline.
It’s funny because those 3-4 inches make a huge difference and I never sit on the higher bench because I like being covered with water while in the spa. And just so you know they don’t have to do the rebar height differently they can just set your benches at the gunite stage. On page 22 of my thread you can see the spa and the different heights.
Hope this helps, if you need anything else don’t hesitate to ask

Thanks Will, that info is real helpful. What is the transition like between those different heights? It it abrupt or gradual at the corners?

How do I locate your thread you referenced? I saw something you posted, but I think it only had 15 pages. - Y

On another note - Jets... When we were interviewing PB's, most were firm that the most jest you should use with a 3hp variable speed pump was six, though some said six to eight. Does anyone have direct experience with having more that six with a 3hp pump OR jets on the floor?

It is a little bump but you can choose what you want, they can do it like a ramp or just make a instant transition. It’s really up to you .
If you click my name you can see the threads I started with my build but below is a pic after gunite
7746a8d300b5f1c9ac39cae5e972a3d9.jpg
81dc0bf75b86ca8079ebe840ed8d944a.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On another note - Jets... When we were interviewing PB's, most were firm that the most jest you should use with a 3hp variable speed pump was six, though some said six to eight. Does anyone have direct experience with having more that six with a 3hp pump OR jets on the floor?

I seen folks run 8 jets and I personally have 8 lol
But I remember asking Brian (bdavis466) that question and he helped me . But you have to remember a inground spa doesn’t compare to a above ground so 6-8 jets is plenty and if you want more force have your builder instal a blower which shouldn’t be more then $400. I have one and don’t use it cause it creates to much force for lil ol me hahaha

I seen folks run 8 jets and I personally have 8 lol
But I remember asking Brian (bdavis466) that question and he helped me . But you have to remember a inground spa doesn’t compare to a above ground so 6-8 jets is plenty and if you want more force have your builder instal a blower which shouldn’t be more then $400. I have one and don’t use it cause it creates to much force for lil ol me hahaha

Soooo ... you have 8 jets on one 3hp pump? are they fairly powerful? How big is your spa, I don't see that in your signature. Ours will be 7x7.

A year ago when I started on TFP, I read about blowers, then when I started interviewing PB's (7 total), not a single one had any idea what I was talking about when I mentioned a blower. Maybe it's a regional thing.

Yea, we have two foot jets. 6 back jets and 2 foot jets. The seat in the spa with the foot jets is probably my favorite!

Thank you for the compliments on our colors, I stressed about those decisions until I finally got to see them all together at the end!

Last edited:
So my spa actually runs off a wisperflo 2hp lump which is actually less powerful than a VSP and my spa is plenty powerful. I actually have to sit inbetweem the jets cause they pound my skin too much. Now take that with a grain of salt because I’m not a huge fan of massages but even when other people get in and I turn on the blowers they say it’s to strong.
I have 6 back jets and 2 foot jets running off that pump and my spa is slightly bigger than 7x7. I made it bigger at dig time than what my plans said

Yea, +1 to what Will said. We have a Hayward VSP and it’s plenty powerful for the 8 jets, especially with the blower on.

OH the blower! I don't think that I can get my PB to entertain one. Like I mentioned earlier none of the seven I interviewed new what I was referencing, and these were PB that install lots of pools here in the Palm Springs area.

We're meeting tomorrow for the placement of the 12 jets (running off of a 3hp and a 1.5hp pumps. I just remembered that we have 3 deck jets as well, but I don't intend to run them when the spa is on.

I see that he has spec'd the jets as Custom Molded Products (CMP) P/N: 23503-072-000. I see they have message jets (1.5 Spa Masterâ„¢ Jets - CMP)

My heads beginning to hurt ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.