Air in solar panels (Split from Filter line problems)

itabb

Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have the same problem when my solar heater starts up. A ton of air comes out. I also get air build up in the top of my sta-rite filter tank. So each week, I open the tiny screw top and let the air out until a jet of water shoots out. I don't have any visible leaking from the solar panels or from any other pipes, so I just assume the air is coming out of the water. I'm not sure why the solar panels keep filling with air, other than when it is turned of, it is probably under some negative pressure to let water flow into the pool and therefore air is getting into the system in the roof.

It is normal to get air when the solar starts up. Water tends to siphon out of the panels because of the height of rooftop panels, which leaves air in the panels. Your air in the filter is a different issue, and probably comes from a leak on the suction side of the pipe.

I have solar panels and have the same issue with air build up in my basket housing. I've bought a new o-ring, cover and redid all the PVC and still it occurs. When I turn the panels off everything s fine, in the cooler weather I didn't have an issue either. Not being real scientific about the whole thing, I think it is just the nature of the beast, probably a physics questions.

I noticed the same thing with my solar panels :? . When I see the air in the pump basket, I turn the solar off, backwash, turn the pump back to filter, then turn the solar back on - then no more air :?: I don't understand it either. My solar panels are on the roof about 9 ft above the pump. Any other ideas? :)

Probably a dumb question, but are you solar panels before or after the pump an filter? I have mine plumbed in after the filter, with a 3 way valve that directs water to panels, and the return has a ball valve to control the flow out of panels. It sounds to me like you all have it plumbed in before the pump/filter? If so, that air that accumlates in the panels when they drain off due to gravity, gets pushed into your pump, then into filter. In my mind if the air is in the pump housing, then you are not getting enough pull from the pump to suction off that air bubble and pull water from main drain or skimmer to replace the air with water. I am curious if you are directing all your water to your panels, if so, this will dramitically effect the amount of flow and reduce the amount of pull from the pump.

Hope this makes sense,

Rik

Rik

My panels are plumbed in just like yours. As a matter of fact, I usually don't direct all of the water to the panels. I did have a bad ball joint in last year, and had it replaced. After I backwash and then put the solar heat on, there is no air bubble. Maybe someone around here is turning the valves off in the wrong order :? I don't always get air in the basket :idea:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Same here. I direct 100% flow through the solar panels. The panels are after the filter and pump. However, those pipes stay under pressure even when the motor is stopped. I guess maybe water is too big to escape the panels, but when a vacuum is formed from the water falling out when the pump is off, maybe air is small enough to get in.

itabb said:
Same here. I direct 100% flow through the solar panels. The panels are after the filter and pump. However, those pipes stay under pressure even when the motor is stopped. I guess maybe water is too big to escape the panels, but when a vacuum is formed from the water falling out when the pump is off, maybe air is small enough to get in.

Your panels should have a vacuum breaker installed to allow the water to drain out when they are shut off. If water remains in the panels, it can overheat, and the negative pressure due to gravity can cause the tubes in the panels to collapse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.