Cloud of Dust

Jun 4, 2009
I just just had an 18 X 36 IG installed about a week ago. It has a hayward 1 1/2 pump and 300 lbs sand filter. After I backwash and rinse, I get this large dust cloud out of the returns for 30 or 40 seconds. The pool looks so nice cleaned but I hate to backwash because it appears to put more sediment back in the pool. Do I have a problem with this filter? Any help would be appreciated.

Are you backwashing till the water is completely clear?
You may need to rinse a bit longer.

You've just had it a week and are already backwashing? You should have backwashed the sand when first starting the pump but you shouldn't have to bsckwash so soon unless there is something wrong.

I'm sure some of the experts will be along to help you with this.

The sand should have been backwashed for at least 2 minutes when the filter was first turned on. After that you should not backwash the filter until the pressure goes up by about 6 psi over the clean filter psi reading. When backwashing the filter it is important to backwash until the water runs completely clear, which is often 3 to 5 minutes, sometimes more, then rinse for 30 seconds, before returning to filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.