Algae Problem for the past 5 WEEKS 40K IG Plaster

Jul 1, 2009
Hi: I am PAPABEARCARE from Maryland and have had a 40K IG Pool since 1991, ... and have never before had Algae Issues.

I have been struggling w/green algae for the past 5 weeks. It has gotten better over time, but, I have spent Mega $$$$, and I still have a "milky green pool". (has gone from forest green, to presently milky green).

I have done two "Yellow Out" treatments, with little results, ... but, I think I discovered yesterday that my PH is very hard to get up! In hindsight, I realized that when I used Yellow Out, I simply looked at the Application Chart on the Soda Ash container and added 10#'s, without testing.(I simply assumed the PH would reach 8.0) I now know this was not the reslut.

The reason I know this was not fact, because yesterday @ 3:00PM, my PH was 6.9, ... I added 35# of Soda Ash ( I kept adding 10# at a time, and little or no affect) last evening, and my Ph this morning is 7.3.

I believe that I have never gotten to that "Burn Out Level w/Chlorine" to zap the Algae, ... but, ... allow me to suggest, I am asking for your professional opinion as to where to go from here!

My current Test Results as of 10:30AM today are: 40K IG Plaster Pool
FC 5.3
TC 5.3
PH 7.3
CH 290
TA 130
CA 40

I had added 25# of Sodium Dichloro (Anthony/Sylvan Super Pool Treat) yesterday @ 3:00PM 6/30/09, ... which was in addition too 35# the day before 6/29/09, along w/10# of Soda Ash each time.

Current water condition: Cloudy Milky green, ... can barely see the second step at the shallow end.

Please help get me pointed in the right direction!

Thanks,

PAPABEARCARE
40k IG Plaster Pool
Maryland

reebok's advice is good. You do need a good test kit in order to take control of your water balance. The TF-100 (link in my sig) is top-notch.

Sounds as though you have made a little progress on clearing your pool. The best way to do it is with chlorine and circulation. We don't encourage algaecide use on this forum very regularly. If we do, it is usually as a protective mechanism rather than a way to fight an algae bloom. No algaecide controls algae better than pure chlorine bleach. Products such as Yellow Out actually add metals to your pool and this is something that creates problems for you in the future. Best to avoid this expensive an uneccesary product in the future. If an algaecide must be used, any of the polyquat 60 based ones are okay.

I'm curious to know what your CYA level is for you pool. The last value in your test values listed is "CA". Is this perhaps your CYA? We need to know what your CYA level is before knowing how much FC it will take to shock your pool correctly.

Yes, ... my CYA is 40 my typo error!

257WbyMag said:
reebok's advice is good. You do need a good test kit in order to take control of your water balance. The TF-100 (link in my sig) is top-notch.

Sounds as though you have made a little progress on clearing your pool. The best way to do it is with chlorine and circulation. We don't encourage algaecide use on this forum very regularly. If we do, it is usually as a protective mechanism rather than a way to fight an algae bloom. No algaecide controls algae better than pure chlorine bleach. Products such as Yellow Out actually add metals to your pool and this is something that creates problems for you in the future. Best to avoid this expensive an uneccesary product in the future. If an algaecide must be used, any of the polyquat 60 based ones are okay.

I'm curious to know what your CYA level is for you pool. The last value in your test values listed is "CA". Is this perhaps your CYA? We need to know what your CYA level is before knowing how much FC it will take to shock your pool correctly.

PAPABEARCARE said:
Hi: I am PAPABEARCARE from Maryland and have had a 40K IG Pool since 1991, ... and have never before had Algae Issues.

I have been struggling w/green algae for the past 5 weeks. It has gotten better over time, but, I have spent Mega $$$$, and I still have a "milky green pool". (has gone from forest green, to presently milky green).

I have done two "Yellow Out" treatments, with little results, ... but, I think I discovered yesterday that my PH is very hard to get up! In hindsight, I realized that when I used Yellow Out, I simply looked at the Application Chart on the Soda Ash container and added 10#'s, without testing.(I simply assumed the PH would reach 8.0) I now know this was not the reslut.

The reason I know this was not fact, because yesterday @ 3:00PM, my PH was 6.9, ... I added 35# of Soda Ash ( I kept adding 10# at a time, and little or no affect) last evening, and my Ph this morning is 7.3.

I believe that I have never gotten to that "Burn Out Level w/Chlorine" to zap the Algae, ... but, ... allow me to suggest, I am asking for your professional opinion as to where to go from here!

My current Test Results as of 10:30AM today are: 40K IG Plaster Pool
FC 5.3
TC 5.3
PH 7.3
CH 290
TA 130
CA 40

I had added 25# of Sodium Dichloro (Anthony/Sylvan Super Pool Treat) yesterday @ 3:00PM 6/30/09, ... which was in addition too 35# the day before 6/29/09, along w/10# of Soda Ash each time.

Current water condition: Cloudy Milky green, ... can barely see the second step at the shallow end.

Please help get me pointed in the right direction!

Thanks,

PAPABEARCARE
40k IG Plaster Pool
Maryland

I'm sorry you are getting terrible advice from the pool store.

First, Yellow Out is ammonia based. It makes the problem worse because once you do kill the algae, the ammonia creates a huge chlorine demand itself.

If that CA of 40 is really your CYA - by using 65 pounds of Dichlor shock your CYA level is likely now around 90 or higher, even though it hasn't completely registered yet (it can take a week after using stabilizer products for the CYA to fully register.

Also, Dichlor is acidic which is affecting your PH levels. You are throwing money down the drain and digging yourself a bigger hole. Ignore the PH/TA for now, the numbers aren't too bad, and focus on the main problem.

You are going to need A LOT of liquid chlorine, preferably the stronger the better - 10-12.5% - to oxidize the algae issue, and now the additional ammonia burden.

Refer to the CYA chlorine chart. If it were my pool I would drain 1/3 down to get the CYA level lower and get some fresh water replacement. Because the higher the CYA, the higher the chlorine needed.

Liquid chlorine is your best option because it doesn't add anything unwanted to the pool...

You need your own test kit, as advised above - so you can take control of your pool and not be subjected to the bad advice of the pool store. :wink:

Just to make clear, before you run out and buy gallons and gallons of 12.5% - do a partial drain and refill to get the CYA down, order a test kit, and then retest your levels.

Post them here, and we'll help you get this cleared up.

Hope this helps. :wink:

I had received the email suggesting that Reebok's message was a good one, ... so I had used the Pool Calculator and put 16 98oz jugs of 6% Chlorine in my pool. THEN I read your response, so, ... once again used the Pool Calculator, and plugged in your suggested CYA figure of 90, ... and I put another 26 98oz jugs of 6% Chlorine in the pool, as the Pool Calculator suggested. As of 8:00AM this morning, I have no noticeable difference in the Milky Green color of the pool.

I recognize that you were attempting to tell me to wait, but, ... I had already put 16 bottles of Chlorine in, when I first read your post, ... and simply did not want to waste them.

I do value your opinion, ... so feel free to share your current opinion of me, as well as my pool situation.

Thanks,

Ron Care
40K IG Plaster 450K Jaquzzi Cartridge Filter

frustratedpoolmom said:
Just to make clear, before you run out and buy gallons and gallons of 12.5% - do a partial drain and refill to get the CYA down, order a test kit, and then retest your levels.

Post them here, and we'll help you get this cleared up.

Hope this helps. :wink:

I'm sorry this has happened to you. The pool store gave you very bad advice telling you to shock with that much Dichlor. :cry:

I advise you to drain down at least 40% and refill with fresh water to lower the CYA before you try to tackle the algae with bleach.

We'll do our best to help you thru this. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Mod Squad: I pumped out approx 60% of my pool, and refilled. Current readings are:

FC .01
TC .03
PH 7.3
CH 120
TA 100
CA 90

Based on previous postings, I am guessing I have to pump out more water to continue to get CA down, ... but, ... what do I do in the mean time?

Should I put 6% chlorine in? Should I attempt to raise CH?

I still have a green pool, ... which is currently a lighter shade of green, ... but, ... I am thinking the algae will still continue to concentrate while I pump out the water.

If the POOL CALCULATOR is correct, ... I would be willing to put in the 42 Jugs of 6%, ... if that would resolve my current problem!

I aplogize for my ignorance, ... and Look forward to your ecperienced advice!

Thanks,

Ron Care

frustratedpoolmom said:
I'm sorry this has happened to you. The pool store gave you very bad advice telling you to shock with that much Dichlor. :cry:

I advise you to drain down at least 40% and refill with fresh water to lower the CYA before you try to tackle the algae with bleach.

We'll do our best to help you thru this. :wink:

I would leave things alone until you finish the next drain and refill cycle, then shock, then adjust the CH level when shocking is complete. It will be far far easier to kill the algae when you get the CYA level down to a more reasonable level.

Hi Jason: I am pumping out water and brushing the pool, ... it now appears as if I might be brushing Plaster!! Big White Clouds with every brush!! How concerned should I be??? Should I immediately start to refill, when & get half empty, ... or, should I attempt to attact the Algae in the hafl full pool, before refilling?

Thanks for your Help!

JasonLion said:
I would leave things alone until you finish the next drain and refill cycle, then shock, then adjust the CH level when shocking is complete. It will be far far easier to kill the algae when you get the CYA level down to a more reasonable level.

PAPABEARCARE said:
If the POOL CALCULATOR is correct, ... I would be willing to put in the 42 Jugs of 6%, ... if that would resolve my current problem!]

Something is wrong here, the title of your thread says you have a 40,000 gallon pool & from your posts I do not think you are fighting mustard algae.

Your post from 7/14 says your CA(CYA?) is 90

The pool calc. has your shock level @ 23, the Chlorine / CYA Chart has your shock level @ 35

42-96oz jugs would raise your chlorine from 0 to 48 according to the pool calculator

So my question is, why do you think you need 42 jugs of bleach to reach shock level?

At most it would take 30 jugs of 96oz bleach to reach 35ppm chlorine in a 40.000 gal pool

Are you are trying to hit mustard algae shock level?

Bob

Hi Bob: Yes, ... I was willing to put in enough 6% chlorine to reach mustard algae shock level, ... based on the pool calculator.

I have since pumped out 2/3 of pool, and am starting to refill. Water is still cloudy green, and there is a light layer green algae on the bottom of pool.

Current numbers are:

FC 4.0
TC 4.4
PH 7.8
CH 230
TA 140
CA 75

I was planning to add 6% chlorine to reach mustard algae shock for the current 12,000 gall in pool, ... and then refill!

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Ron

Bob_Funk said:
PAPABEARCARE said:
If the POOL CALCULATOR is correct, ... I would be willing to put in the 42 Jugs of 6%, ... if that would resolve my current problem!]

Something is wrong here, the title of your thread says you have a 40,000 gallon pool & from your posts I do not think you are fighting mustard algae.

Your post from 7/14 says your CA(CYA?) is 90

The pool calc. has your shock level @ 23, the Chlorine / CYA Chart has your shock level @ 35

42-96oz jugs would raise your chlorine from 0 to 48 according to the pool calculator

So my question is, why do you think you need 42 jugs of bleach to reach shock level?

At most it would take 30 jugs of 96oz bleach to reach 35ppm chlorine in a 40.000 gal pool

Are you are trying to hit mustard algae shock level?

Bob

Is the CYA of 75 from a NOT full pool?

You need to finish refilling, recirculate and retest the CYA. Then start shocking if the CYA is in range. If the CYA is 75 after refilling, you can decide if you want to run with that or drain some more.

Hi Frustrated Pool Mom: The CYA 75 was from the approx 12K Gallons left in the pool.

I used the Pool Calculator & put 12 Jugs of 6% chlorine in the pool, and started to refill. I am running my Aquabot until I have enough water to restart the filter.

I am optimistic that I have conquered the problem and won the WAR!

What do you think?

Thanks,

Ron

frustratedpoolmom said:
Is the CYA of 75 from a NOT full pool?

You need to finish refilling, recirculate and retest the CYA. Then start shocking if the CYA is in range. If the CYA is 75 after refilling, you can decide if you want to run with that or drain some more.

Hi Frustrated Pool Mom: I have refilled and now have a cloudy Blue pool, ... I know I am almost there!

Current Numbers:

FC 3.4
TC 3.7
PH 7.4
CH 110
TA 110
CYA 30

Feel free to make suggestions so that I continue in the right direction.

Thanks,
Ron

frustratedpoolmom said:
I think you are headed in the right direction, when the pool is full, recirculate, retest, and post new numbers.... :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.