Liner Stretch question for Dennis - and everyone. . .

Sep 3, 2008
Bucks County, PA
Hi Dennis, (and everyone)

I recently ran across a post of yours on another forum regarding liner stretch and your comment "you'd be amazed how much a liner will stretch". (By the way, thanks for chiming in yesterday regarding my liner issue that I was having too).

I have a question for you, as it's been quite a number of years since I've done a liner. For the sake of anyone who may be interested or doing a search in the future. The details are:

The new liner installed very quickly even though it did get cooler outside with the rain / storm that came in the afternoon. Today, it will be cooler - appx 80-83 vs 89 yesterday.

I've got the Vac all hooked up to the skimmer opening and everything sealed. The liner is touching the foam coves along both of the long sides of a 33' long oval pool and just into the oval portions of the 15' ends.

With the vac on, the liner "sucks to the wall" all the way down to the foam cove on about 90% of the 33' sides.

On the 15" oval portions, it "sucks in" and touches the wall appx half way down in some areas.

The only area where I have a gap between the liner and the pool wall is on the oval sections. (About from the center point and then as it curves around toward the straight portion - if that makes sense). Luckilly, I could see through the skimmer hole to get an idea of how far I was away from the cove.)

Right now, I have appx 4" of water and I'm at (almost), the top of the foam cove appx 90% around the pool. Since it was getting cold last night, I did not want to continue filling until today when we get some hot sun again.

My question is:

I looks like I have just a few areas on the oval portions where the liner is appx 3-4" away from the cove and the bottom portion of the wall. I can push the liner lightly with my hand and feel it touch the wall from the top portion of the bead down to appx the mid point of the pool. (I could push on it harder if I wanted to but don't want to risk tearing anything.

I was just trying to get an idea if this distance (know it's hard trying to read the description) is "normal" and if the liner will stretch to meet the cove at the bottom?

My walls are perfectly level even without the top coping on yet.

Right now, I've got Zero wrinkles and with 4" of water I could still "massage" a little bit of liner across the pool if I needed to. But since the oval portions are the portions of the pool that have the gaps, I'm not sure if pushing the liner toward one end wouldn't just increase my gap on the other side.

I think what I'm worring about (a little) is that the foam cove is only appx 4" high . . . where the pool instructions tell you to build a 6" high earth cove. I just want to make sure I'm not pushing this liner to the "extreme". It's a 25 mil by the way.

If the problem/gap was on one of the straight sides, I could see that massaging a bit more liner across the pool would work since I seem to have plenty of liner, since both sides are pretty much already touching the entire wall and cove already.

Just curious if anyone can give me an idea of how "far" the liner is able to stretch into the sides of an oval. I sense that since the sides are pretty perfect and appx 50% of each oval end portion of the pool is looking good that this may be ok?

I just don't want to have to fill and then drain. Right now I can still massage the liner around. I think if it looks this good and it's cold, I should be fine as it warms up today, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Only takes a few minutes to ask a question.

Sorry for the long post but perhaps it may help others in the future, including the details.

Frankly I don't think you are going to have any problem at all. Any sunny day over 70 degrees works just as well as a sunny day at higher temps. As Dennis said before, it's amazing how much the liner will stretch in.

BTW, some people don't use the shop vac method at all and I'm not sure it an absolute requirement that you do. We did not on our last liner and it went in fine.

Well, I've got appx 18" in the pool (from well) and everything looks fine so far.

The oval ends were a little more "tighter" than the sides but, my seams were aligned perfectly and it appears that everything looks great. (Not even 1 wrinkle in sight and the Armor Shield bottom really makes things nice and smooth).

I didn't realize it until I installed it, but the foam cove is slightly smaller than a cove that was made from earth. (Wondering why most pool instructions call for a certain size cove but the foam cove is made smaller???)

Either way, with 18" in the pool, the liner is resting down on the cove and is pretty much flat against the walls (except in the ovals where it is appx 1/4" away but very easily pushed in even when the liner is cold.

I'll be getting 5500 gallons on Tuesday which will take me appx 1/2 way to the skimmer bottom. While the driver returns for another 4300 Gallons, I'll cust the liner and install the skimmer and I should be all set to go.

Busy weekend but worth it. Also really happy with the bottom pad and I love the bead lock "stuff". Makes a nice clean "finish" to the top of the liner.

Build pics to follow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.